British Wiring Harness Question

PostPost by: jbeach » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:25 pm

Thanks, for the encouragement and support, everyone.

Phil, this is probably the intimidation factor talking, but I've convinced myself a full-replacement will be less complicated, and maybe even quicker, than tracing and reversing the many PO modifications. Plus, in several places my 50-year-old wiring is wearing where it has rubbed against adjacent structures - I feel it's only a matter of time before I have to fix new problems if I keep the old wiring.

And, yes, if I replace the plug (which I assume I will), I will salvage it and we can figure out how I might send it to you.

Regarding my tail light lenses, my car is at the upholsterer now, so I cannot look at it, but here is a photo of my tail lights. They appear to be all red, correct?
Beach Elan Tail Lights pre-bumper paint.jpg and

Victor, I spent a wonderful 3 days in Friday Harbor with my wife and twin daughters about 8 years ago. We explored the entire area on bikes, hiked, rented a boat for a day and circumnavigated the island - it was glorious! You are smart to live there.

Certainly more questions to come.

Best,

-John
John Beach
'69 Elan S4 DHC - A Work in Progress
jbeach
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:55 pm

With a new harness you won't have problem with the core of a wire breaking at Door Hinges and looking perfect on the outside insulation.
Just fit some good extra Earths and you'll be smiling.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 0005K » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:24 pm

I second Phil's comment. If you can salvage the dash harness I strongly suggest that you do. Buy correct color wire, a bullet crimper, and bullets.
The BW harness is NOT a Federal harness and there is a LOT different if you have a DB 10 box, vacuum switch micros and a center rocker hazard switch. It is a challenge!
Dick 0005K Federal S4
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 0005K » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:08 pm

I have a #832 alternator type front wiring harness from BW/AutoSparks. I am trying to connect it to a NipponDenso alternator. Any idea what I should do with the small gage brown wire? The alternator kit schematic doesn't show it. The kit shows me connecting the brown/yellow to BOTH the IG and L spade lugs on the rear of the alternator.
Thanks
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:08 pm

0005K wrote:I have a #832 alternator type front wiring harness from BW/AutoSparks. I am trying to connect it to a NipponDenso alternator. Any idea what I should do with the small gage brown wire? The alternator kit schematic doesn't show it. The kit shows me connecting the brown/yellow to BOTH the IG and L spade lugs on the rear of the alternator.
Thanks

That's exactly how mine is wired:
IMG_1883.jpg and

I don't appear to have a small gauge brown wire...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 0005K » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:33 pm

Thanks Phil!
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:08 pm

I’ve completely rewired my plus 2 and the best thing I did was take loads of photos of the back of the dash and everywhere the wires connected to. If the Elan is the same as the Plus two take lots of pics where the dash, front and rear harness connect. Also watch out for poor quality after market bullet connector blocks, there is an article somewhere on here about the differences on the internals of these connectors, some do not hold the bullets very securely. Also don’t forget to get a new set of grommets where the wires pass through the bulkhead. Happy wiring!
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jbeach » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:29 pm

Thanks! The project is moving along slowly, but steadily. I am starting the interior harness this weekend. I will take copious photos!
-John
John Beach
'69 Elan S4 DHC - A Work in Progress
jbeach
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: