Voltage Regulator Position on LHD S2

PostPost by: ivan.wood » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:21 pm

I will hopefully be able to get back to my restoration project, which is a 1965 LHD Elan S2, when the weather here warms up, as my garage is not heated.

Last Fall I was fitting a new wiring harness and was trying to find the correct position for the generator voltage control unit. Looking at the holes in the body it appears to be mounted above the throttle cable hole that comes up from the pedal box top but it looks as though it would force the cable to come out at an acute angle. Is the position of the control unit different on LHD models and if so where did it mount? A photograph would be useful

Thanks
ivan.wood
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:12 pm

here's where mine is mounted. does this help you?
IMG_1052.JPG and
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ivan.wood » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:41 pm

That is where I thought it should go but being right over the grommet hole and interfering with the accelerator cable didn’t make much sense. May be someone has come up with a better position?

Thanks
ivan.wood
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:03 pm

If you're thinking of fitting an alternator you'll be able to remove it completely (alternators have integrated voltage controllers). It's not for originalists, but it would be one less thing to go wrong.

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ivan.wood » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:38 pm

Thanks Nick, I did consider going with an alternator but have just finished rebuilding the generator and starter motor over the winter. If I go with LED bulbs that may reduce the load on the battery so the generator can cope. We will see.
ivan.wood
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: