LED Indicators not flashing

PostPost by: scottswatches » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:10 am

I have tried some LED bulbs in the indicators, following upgrading the headlamps and reversing lamps. But the indicators light up, but don't flash. Refitted the filament bulbs and all is okay. Do I need a new relay to run the LED ones, and what spec would that be?

For those interested I fitted Nighteye H4 led headlamp bulbs, and the reversing bulbs are 42mm festoon bulbs and both make a big difference
scottswatches
New-tral

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:25 am

It'll be because the LED lamps don't draw as much current as filament bulbs. The flasher unit is relying on this current to heat a bi-metallic strip up which opens the contacts. Not enough current and it won't open the contacts, and your indicator stays on.

You need lower current indicator units designed for LED bulbs.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:59 am

Hi,
Something like this flasher would suffice. 68251BL. It copes with front and rear blinkers, as well as a single connection for our single pilot light.

https://view.publitas.com/bwi/narva-cat ... ge/332-333

Only downside, is it doesn’t have a noise maker. I used a small relay from an electronics store, wired into the circuit, to make an audible click.

Cheers,
Colin.

uote="scottswatches"]I have tried some LED bulbs in the indicators, following upgrading the headlamps and reversing lamps. But the indicators light up, but don't flash. Refitted the filament bulbs and all is okay. Do I need a new relay to run the LED ones, and what spec would that be?

For those interested I fitted Nighteye H4 led headlamp bulbs, and the reversing bulbs are 42mm festoon bulbs and both make a big difference[/quote]
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: donselan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:53 pm

This tutorial from Moss is useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auLY6IYeqcI

Don
Don Fysh
S3 Elan FHC 36/5607
S3 Elan DHC 45/6646
donselan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:45 pm

Here's another thread that address LED lighting and getting a flasher that works, including the click:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=39505&p=284347&hilit=+led+flasher#p284347

As shown in the thread:

"Concerning LED compatible flashers. The existing Niles (tall can) and Tridon (smaller plastic) were both replaced by the CEC unit shown. The new CEC unit does require a ground wire but otherwise directly replaces the existing units. There is no need to place resistors in series with the LED's to increase loads to make the flashers work. (Source: Amazon)"
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:27 pm

From what I understand LED indicators need a special flasher unit that looks like a relay.

This unit functions with the OEM indicators as well.

I can suggest a supplier if you are still stuck.
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: David1953 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:47 pm

I got mine from:
https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collec ... electronic
Note you need the round one.
David1953
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: