Adding Ammeter to Elan S4

PostPost by: jimj » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:24 am

"Peace of mind"? here`s a piece of my mind; don`t bother. Once, in the last 15 years and 70,000+ miles, my alternator failed, the ignition light stayed on. It`s all I need to know.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:26 pm

Calcium is used in almost all car batteries these days providing mainly advantages for stockist, as it reduces self-discharge in storage, less maintenance for them.
Unfortunately for the classic car owner this type of battery has disadvantages, they requires a higher charging voltage, debatable, 14.8 volts, than a conventional lead acid, so voltage set by dynamo regulators, this can be adjusted but in the case of most alternators the output voltage is set by internal control and is fixed, under these circumstances neither an ammeter nor voltmeter will tell you, you don?t have a fully charged battery.
A further complication of this type battery is, if left uncharged and the terminal voltage drops below 10.7 volts it is unlikely that it can be recharge i.e. it?s ruined, many battery manufacturers guarantee is void if this condition found.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: