Wiring For Ignition Switch

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:08 pm

I am in the middle of completely rewiring my 1970 S4 SE. Anyone know which wire goes where on the back of the ignition switch? The switch is in the dash not on the column.

It was no use taking notes when I took it out as the wiring so patched and jumped that nothing went where it should. The reason for a total rewire. :o
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:14 pm

I would suggest that you have the manual diagram scanned into a PC and have some one enlarge it and plot it as a large drawing (A1). This is worth it when you start to go through the entire car testing. The S4 is a bit heavily populated and even with a large drawing is a bit painful to follow the parallel lines. I would not attempt to just enlarge the ignition switch section. It is good to see the whole thing!

regards mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:44 pm

Thanks for that. I already have the diagram printed out on three large sheets. The problem is really identifying the terminals on the back of the switch.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm

Steve,
I also have an S4 and am just doing the dashboard wiring using a brand new harness. As has been said, it is difficult to read the wiring diagram and even harder not to go blind trying to trace the path of the long cable runs. As for the ignition switch, if you look really closely you will find the same numbers ( 1 through 4 ) on the back of the switch that correspond to the numbers on the wiring diagram. If this is not sufficient, I will describe the back of the switch as I am looking at it. There are seven male, lucar connectors, three of which are doubles and one single. Looking at the back of the switch and counting clockwise, the single connector is #3, the next is #4, then #1 and finally #2.
Hope this is what you are after.
Regards Colin.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:16 pm

Your eyesite must be better than mine as I had not spotted the numbers. When I get home tonight I will take a closer look. Thanks :)
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: