Plus 2 ground strap in the boot

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:36 am

Possibly a stupid question, but..

I have what looks like a ground strap in my boot, hanging down from the right hand side of the tank (looking into the boot from the rear of the car, it is opposite the fuel filler side). It looks like it might bolt to the square section subframe that the boot light switch is mounted to, is this correct, or does it go somewhere else?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:45 am

there's a few possibilities I can think of...
1) aerial needs a ground.
2) the earth for the battery was relocated (I believe) from the chassis bolt (boot floor) to the cross brace fixing behind the rear seat ( probably to help prevent corrosion/poor earth issues)
3) I'm not sure how the heated rear window is grounded (although I think this is standard cable in the loom)

could easily be others
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:07 pm

Not the best picture but...
rear-ground-strap.jpg and

The large hole at the end of the strap grounds the antenna. The mid hole is where the right rear fuel tank strap bolt goes through. Edit: I originally said that this provides a ground for the tank. It doesn't due to the rubber strip between the tank and the strap. Not sure why it's attached to this bolt. Maybe just to locate it in place.

The remaining strap goes through the access hole and bolts to the right diff mount. The strap in the picture doesn't show this as it was hastily cut while four people held the body part way up. Just a reminder to make sure everything is disconnected before trying to separate the body from the frame. :roll:
Last edited by Bud English on Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:25 pm

I'll have to post a picture of it - it doesn't look like that at all..
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: