Headlamp removal S4

PostPost by: 2tmike » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:43 am

Are there any improvements/mods to make removal of the headlamp bezel easier to remove without damaging the paintwork around it? On my car there is almost zero clearance between the bottom of the bezel and the light pod. I've made the removal tool as suggested in the workshop manual but sliding it around the bezel to the bottom just removes paint from the pod. I guess the lamp bucket mounted holes could be slotted a little to move the whole light up a few mm but is there a better way to make the bezel removal easier? The car's just been painted so I'd prefer not to fit up the lights without improving things
Thanks
Elan S4
Elan Plus 2 JPS
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:29 am

You are using the tool incorrectly. It slips between the headlight and the bezel, you slide it round until it contacts and depresses the spring catch, which you can feel but of course not see. As soon as you feel it, pull towards you and the bezel should come off.
It does not slide between bezel and body.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 2tmike » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:34 am

Nope, that's exactly what I'm doing but the ''handle'' of the tool still needs to pass between the bezel and the light pod.......
Elan S4
Elan Plus 2 JPS
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 2tmike » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:53 am

Problem solved, there should be a gap between the bezel and light retaining rim to insert the tool? I haven't got one...:((( new bezels needed....
Elan S4
Elan Plus 2 JPS
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:41 pm

I use a small scewdriver between bezel and headlamp.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:05 pm

This version of the tool from the workshop manual works for me ... profiled to match the bezel with a smaller hook on the end and made from aluminium.
headlamp-rim-pull-001.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 2tmike » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:34 pm

That's pretty close to the one I made up and tried but the real issue is that the bezels and bucket flanges are distorted so there's very little or no gap to insert it. The screwdriver suggestion came closer to working but I think the sensible option is to replace the bezels and headlamp buckets with new
Elan S4
Elan Plus 2 JPS
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: