New Wiring loom installation Elan S2

PostPost by: PaulH » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:42 am

I've been looking forward to putting in the wiring loom, and it does feel like some kind of milestone in reassembling my Elan. I bought the wiring loom from Autosparks in Nottingham (UK) and so far everything has been spot on (I have no association with them). They also offer to add a few options so I've opted for electric fan, radio wiring and an additional accessories socket behind the dash. Not sure if I'll use the accessories socket but it seemed worth adding. I'm going to keep the car positive earth (the rev counter is marked up that way, so no need to modify that). A good friend, Brian, tells me I need to check the polarity of the new dynamo/generator, so I'll read up on that.

Here's a link to a video showing some of the details of the wiring loom:
https://youtu.be/g00SCQ07tpU

wiring-loom.jpg and
66 Elan S2
PaulH
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:41 pm

Great job on the video Paul!

Anyone new to Elan wiring will get a lot out of this opus. Would be very helpful for anyone considering rewiring their Lotus, as Paul has really done a great job of showing what you will want to document before you rip the existing loom out of the car. If you are new to troubleshooting your Lotus, this does a good job of showing where to find everything.

Regarding your accessory option, I opted to tuck a cigarette style plug below the dash on the upper portion of the driver?s side kick panel. I use it to power a Garmin, my phone, or a radar detector. Keeps the wires away from the dash and can?t be seen in normal operation. They even have nice wall mounted type plugs now that provide a direct USB. As you are sticking with positive ground, I am not sure how the electronics would work. Perhaps you could wire the accessory plug backwards so the devise charger sees the plug as negative ground?

This one Looks better for you than what I used as the ground sleeve of the cigarette plug is plastic covered and the USB?s are available. The ?wall mounting? with a couple of screws makes the mod easily reversible.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-24V-Cig ... SwWDBbGfU8

Thanks for creating and posting.

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: