Ignition Failure on Sprint

PostPost by: silverlink » Wed May 09, 2018 3:10 pm

Having just got my car back on the road after many years I took it out for a run where it performed fine apart from the speedo suddenly stopping working (any advice here greatly appreciated)
The main worry though was when I got back home I drove the car into garage and as I stopped the engine cut out, on looking I found the red ignition light on the tacho had gone out and wouldn't come back on. At this stage I hadn't touched the ignition switch so all electrics were still turned on and I could here the electric fan working. I then switched ignition off and back on where the starter turned the motor over with no problems but the engine wouldn't fire up. The red ignition light was also still off.
The car is fitted with electronic ignition.
Any ideas on what I should be looking for here?
Cheers
Ian H
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Wed May 09, 2018 3:44 pm

i assume you already know about the glove box switch?
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Wed May 09, 2018 3:57 pm

Yes Ted,
But I only thought of that yesterday! Many years ago I had problems with this switch so bypassed it but I think when I rewired and fitted new glovebox I refitted it.
I will take a look at it when next with car, its still strange however as I haven't touched the switch at all which makes me think its something else.
Thanks
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed May 09, 2018 6:38 pm

The Speedo stopping suddenly could be the shirt drive out of the gearbox failing.
When mine went I took it out and found that a P.O. had used an oval nail instead of the proper semi flexible link that is like the squared of end of the Speedo cable.
I have a Caterham dealer near me and they carry a similar part for 7s. It's a bit shorter than ours should be but did the trick for me.
It could be the cable itself of course and you can check that by releasing at gearbox and so I ing by hand whilst some else watches the speedo for signs of life.

I hate electrics so will let other do the honours on the ignition light!
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: silverlink » Wed May 09, 2018 9:47 pm

Thanks Mark,
As soon as I get the car going again I'll get it on a ramp and check the cables. The guy who has been sorting the car for me fitted a new speedo cable so it may be the short drive into the gearbox that's faulty.
Cheers
Ian
silverlink
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: