Alarm Switch In Glovebox

PostPost by: rickf » Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:35 pm

I've heard that the alarm switch in the glove box is a source of a lot of trouble. Is it advisable to remove it? What do I do with the wiring if I remove it?
Cheers,<br>Rick<br>1972 Elan +2
rickf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dlbarnes1 » Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:27 am

I have not heard that the alarm switch is a source of trouble. If so, has the problem been with failure of the switch, poor connections, or what?
I'm in the process of installing a new dashboard with new glove pocket. I've looked at the switch carefully before reinstalling it to be sure it's OK. The connections are soldered at the switch terminals.
The switch appears to be reliable enough, considering that it's not subject to much wear (unless the driver uses the switch every time the engine is shut off). As long as the connections are made with care, it should'nt be a source of trouble.

In regard to removing the switch; the switch is a two-position, two-pole type with either four wires or three wires connected to it, depending on the Plus 2 model. Two of the wires are the primary circuit to the ignition coil. When the switch is in the normal position (no alarm), this circuit is closed. Therefore, if the switch is removed these two wires need to be permanently connected. The circuit diagrams show these wires as each red/green for the Plus 2 and white and white/yellow for the Plus 2S (each white for the S4). The other two wires, black and purple/black for the Plus 2 (and S4); or single wire, purple/yellow for the Plus 2S, allow the alarm circuit (horn) to energize when the switch is in the alarm position and the ignition switch is turned on. Therefore, if the switch is removed these two wires or single wire need to be separated and capped.

David - 72 Sprint DHC
dlbarnes1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: BenMcCarthy » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:45 pm

It caused me trouble on my 1971 +2.

The wires had been slowly smouldering away behind the dashboard. The only answer was to cut them out and cap them off. The alarm is very crude by modern standards
BenMcCarthy
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: