Loudspeaker damage when the boot is closed

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:53 pm

I mounted speakers in the footwell outside bulkhead. Tons of room there. I had sealed the wheel well panels pretty thoroughly anyway, so no issues with moisture getting in. I did use some foam speaker baffles like these though. Perhaps these would be a good thing for your parcel shelf speakers as well?

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_762/Foam- ... =2809&pg=1

Nice thing about footwell mounting is it would be easily reversible by fibreglassing the hole and covering with carpet.

HTH

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:45 am

Stu, could you post a picture of the front speakers of your car in situ please, so I can get an idea of where exactly they are mounted?

Thanks!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:09 pm

Sorry for the late reply. Finally got down to where the car is stored today.

Not a great picture, but might help to landmark where you can fit your own speakers.

It is so dark down in the tunnel I had not noticed how badly the carpet has pulled away from the speaker grilles.

One thing I did when cutting the openings is started with a much smaller hole than the speaker so I could check out the cavity depth.

My speakers are 6? x 9?, so much larger than the approx. 4? x 6? maximum that fit in the stock location.

HTH

Stu
Attachments
35b20657-c79a-42e8-9ea3-7dabb69c883a.jpeg and
Picture of installed 6? x 9? stereo speaker. This is the left (driver?s) side in my LHD Federal car.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:16 am

Wow, that is a long way down. I'd be worried about damaging them with my foot.

Will have to look again. I did the vapour membrane on the driver's side door yesterday and it looked like there was plenty of space for a 6" speaker. The only problem is butchering the door cards.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: