UK supplier of multi coloured wire?

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:26 pm

Hi

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I am looking for a supplier of the multicoloured cable used in the Elan wiring harness. Though maybe I should say "striped". I hit quite a few web sites but they only show single coloured wire. When I make repairs and modifications to my loom, I'd really like to keep to the original colour scheme wherever possible. Already I have rewired the headlights with relays, and had to use plain black and red wires.

My next job is likely to be adding relays to the window motors, and this time I would like to use the correct colours (black with blue stripe / blue with yellow stripe, in case you were wondering).

Any ideas?

Cheers
JonB
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:37 pm

jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:50 pm

a google search with automotive cable and tracer would give for instance in the UK

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/news/bi- ... -reel.html

or in the US

https://www.sherco-auto.com/striped-tracer-wire.html
http://www.britishwiring.com/9-Strand-P ... p/c109.htm

you should be able to find what you need eventually

_edit______ Jono you beat me to it ;)
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:53 pm

A long long time ago in a previous life I made wiring looms and used these people:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/

Back they had all the colour/trace/c.s.a combinations that I needed and were a good company to deal with, no idea if that is still the case but they are long established.

Twas pre internet days so the fact that they are still around means they must have moved with the times and become even more competitive.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:19 pm

Thanks all - I'm not a complete thickie, but I didn't know the stripe was called a tracer - otherwise I would've found it!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:25 pm

[quote="JonB" I didn't know the stripe was called a tracer [/quote]

This link may be of use to you:
https://www.mgexp.com/article/lucas-colours.html
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:21 pm

Thanks Brian, an excellent resource.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:56 pm

The wiring changed significantly from early cars to the later ones. My late 72 Plus2 has the thin insulation style wiring, added lightness, rather than the thicker style on my S2. The thin style stripe/trace color is perishable with solvent like brake clean. Cheap enough, and sold my the meter. I think I got what I needed from Auto Electrics, or something like that. Not all colors/wire count/gauge were available. Same for British Wiring for the thicker style wiring.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:35 pm

Jon, plenty of sellers on eBay if you search for ?car wire?, I?ve bought several mixed packs of 10 lengths each 5m long, there are about 70 combinations, but be aware that blue/white is different from white/blue, the first is the main colour, the second is the colour of the thin stripe or tracer colour on it. As you can see by the attached picture I?m deep into rewiring as it?s replace the dashboard time!
Just be aware that if you use the 1.00mm wire rated at 16A, it?s too thin to crimp into the Lucas type bullet connectors with the proper hexagonal crimping tool.
Attachments
0a91e56e-4235-48b1-9002-3dc7ffeaa092.jpeg and
Dashboard harness just removed.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:03 am

That looks complicated..

I will be doing the same to mine in due course. Got given enough money to score a new dashboard for my birthday, so the wife expects it! Unfortunately, removing the dashboard exposes the heater (which needs an overhaul), and the wiring, and [insert other random discovery here], etc. What I'm saying is "There lies another rabbit hole to fall into".

Are you replacing the loom, then? I did buy some bullet connectors but they were the type you solder to the wire. There were no crimping bits.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:45 am

BBB

"Just be aware that if you use the 1.00mm wire rated at 16A, it?s too thin to crimp into the Lucas type bullet connectors with the proper hexagonal crimping tool."

....not if you buy the right size bullet connectors. They have different size holes.

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:03 am

Where did you find the bullet connectors that are correct for 1mm cable, I?ve not found any?
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:10 am

Hi JonB
I?m planning on keeping as much of the original as possible but will carefully split it down and add new wires and delete redundant ones, then bind it back up again. Looks like a few end terminals will need replacing, but otherwise it?s in pretty good condition, no cracks or worn insulation, but time will tell once I really get into it later this week. First job is to clean and fit all the instruments and brackets etc into the new dashboard.
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:31 am

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:46 am

I'll have to look up to see how the crimping tool works with those, John. Too used to spade connectors.

Edit: Found this. The item has a good picture that shows the tool and crimp result.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321134873420
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: