Headlamp "High Beam" Issue

PostPost by: tr8bofin » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:15 pm

Greetings All,

I'm hoping someone can help. Low beam is fine, high beam does not operate. When switching from low beam to high beam via the steering column toggle stalk, the blue telltale illuminates but the headlamps go dark. Interestingly, the spring-loaded "signaling" function on the same switch works fine.

My car has the three fuse boxes in the engine bay and the one closest to the bulkhead is operative. The wiring diagram shows a main beam and dip beam relay but I can't make out which is which as the colors indicated in the wiring diagram do not (generally) correspond to those used although the wiring appears factory. The relay closest to the bulkhead clicks away merrily during all headlamp functions but none of the other relays seem to be involved in these operations at all, at least not that I can detect.

My car is a 1971 +2S four speed, LHD Federal spec.

Suggestions greatly appreciated...Albert
tr8bofin
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:08 pm

Sounds like your high beam relay is not operating. Either it is broken or most probable the earth wire is not connecting. On a 2-seat elan this earth circuit passes through a microswitch under the headlight pod, but on a plus 2 I think the microswitches are on the dash-panel switch that raises/lowers the headlights.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: