Electric Fan runs Backwards!

PostPost by: vincereynard » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:19 am

john.p.clegg wrote:Vince
Sorry but they were a chance purchase off Fleabay...
Will they not fit on the other side of the rad....or is there no space??

John :wink:

Too tight and the rad is made to mount it at the front to blow through.
screenshot-from-2018-01-11-11-18-25.png and
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:33 am

Vince,
Now we have seen the fan, my previous suggestion is not relevant. However you have got me more confused now. As we are looking at your photo, the blades should rotate anticlockwise to blow air through the radiator when mounted in front.
The blades are marked to rotate anticlockwise, so which way do they actually turn.
If clockwise then it may be a manufacturing error.
Eric in Burnley
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:06 pm

It spins clockwise as viewed from the back.. Opposite to what the fan blade indicates.

screenshot-from-2018-01-11-10-32-01.png and

I would like to replace with the same as the fixings are solid and present.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:47 pm

Vince, good, we are getting somewhere now.
Please check again and confirm that it still runs clockwise no matter which way round you connect the supply.
If it does, then it is faulty or assembled incorrectly, which also suggests that if you buy a new one, that will be correct and will fit directly on your mounting points.
Eric
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:43 pm

vincereynard wrote:It spins clockwise as viewed from the back.. Opposite to what the fan blade indicates.

Screenshot from 2018-01-11 10-32-01.png

I would like to replace with the same as the fixings are solid and present.

From the photo one can see the blades are asymmetrical, being efficient as indicated on the blade, that is rotating CCW as seen on the photo for a blow through mode. Running it CW will "suck", and poorly at that since using the trailing edge in front. There is only 1 direction in which this fan blade would work efficiently, and that is indicated by the arrow in the plastic.

Did you purchase that new ? on some of these units (I've seen it on cheap far east ones) the protection grill and/or motor can be flip-flopped on the shroud, so as to accommodate both uses push or pull (a photo from the other side may tell). But if you bought is used and the grill/motor is not reversible it may well be that the DPO reversed the blade irrespective of the efficiency to make it appear what it is not, being a single use unit (suck only) which shares a blade with other units but which is set as such at the factory...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:46 pm

Confession time - you known the one about the Dalek climbing off the dust bin? We all make mistakes. :oops:

The direction does reverse with polarity!
It was wired incorrectly by the restorers and I carefully copied it. I've no idea why it did not seem to when I tested it.

A clue was on the label!
screenshot-from-2018-01-10-20-15-42.png and

This cannot be seen when it is mounted. So black to + and blue to - and alls well.

It is now rewired with nice waterproof connector.

Thanks all for your input. Now on the the carb. balancing problem.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:54 pm

Yes, I saw that and wondered.. you got there in the end Vince, well done. Is it really powerful?

Regarding carb balance, pity you're not nearby or I could've done it with my gas flow meter. Unless you have a carbtune?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:49 pm

Well done Vince, Glad I could help
Eric
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:54 pm

The colours are following the harmonised mains wiring r?gulations, even on 240vac some of us recall that black was once used for neutral and of course on vehicle wiring black is usually -ve.

In the modern world blue is always neutral, green/yellow earth (mains not vehicle) and all other colours are phase colours black included.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: