Sudden blackout on a country lane!

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:54 pm

This when all lights are in off position and dip switch left in high beam position.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Yep, it works, but only if switch is in high beam. I figured creep up was common. Doesn't really bother me, I like the fact it's vacuum operated, it's neat.

Meanwhile, I spent an evening sorting the ratty battery connections out and earth points in the boot. The negative wire was attached to the battery terminal with self tappers. Supposed to be bolts to compress the fat cable. Positive was frayed. Sorted now. Lots of diff oil in the battery tray. Cleaned thtat. I think it comes through a hole, possibly an old bolt hole. I have an oversized battery that doesn't sit in the recess, so there are blocks of wood under it. What size is the battery strap bolt hole? I couldn't find one in my collection of old UNF bolts that fit.

It's possible that the headlights are brighter now, not sure.

Boot floor is bare fibreglass. I would like to paint it, but using what type of paint?

Got a sore back now!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:01 pm

I took the Elan out for a spin tonight to test the lights. Seemed brighter but still got the dreaded cutout.

However, I discovered that if I turn the dashboard lights off and run with dipped beam, I can at least get home without problems.

Next stop: Relays!

[Edit: See lotus-electrical-f38/rewiring-the-main-lights-with-relays-t40758.html for the relay fitting.]
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi

When I re-wired my 74 Elan +2S I replaced the thermal cut outs with small circuit breakers from the W54 series using a 20A breaker and wire that would take 30A continuous. As far as I could tell these should be fine given a serious overload rather than a dead short so with the 30A wire there should be no fires and the breaker worst case should trip. They seem to be free form nuisance trips . I installed modern blade fuses in the dashboard central fuse holder and was able to get 2 off 20A breakers and 10 fuses in the space that held the original 4 cartridge fuses.

Have attached the details of the circuit breakers. they were readily available from electronics components factors
I got mine ( in UK ) from CPC

Hope this helps best of luck

Bob
Attachments
W54_series_breakers.pdf
(215.36 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:54 pm

Apologies All ! !

In the above post I attached and referred to the wrong series of breakers