+2 boot light connectors.

PostPost by: M.J.S » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:20 pm

Despite knowing as much about car electrics as a badger knows about the mating habits of a goldfish, I have finally managed to get my two interior lights working, the map light and the two rear facing red lamps in the doors. Bad earths one side, broken wires on the other. Whoopee. Small victories maketh the man, and all that.

The boot (trunk) lamp remains a dodo, and although I am to yet pull all the carpeting out of the boot to see if there are any wires flapping (I've done enough for tonight and my back's given up the ghost), I'm not totally convinced it's wired correctly.

The workshop manual shows a drawing of a courtesy light switch, of the same style as those on the front, but with a dog-leg connector, rather than straight, on the end. Makes sense.

On my switch there in no connection on the end, just a wire with a ring connector slipped over the switch before it's screwed into the captive. Badgers and goldfish etc, but this doesn't seem right as it's not affected by the plunger, so I'm assuming it's an earth and I'm missing a wire .

Does this sound right?

Thanks guys,

Mark.
ZARDE the 130/5.
M.J.S
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:50 pm

That sounds exactly right. The brace that the switch and the boot lid prop are attached to is only bolted to fiberglass and needs to have that ground wire. Now to track down the other wire. :wink:
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: M.J.S » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:02 pm

Cheers Bud, thought as much, time to go hunting. Thanks.

Love the signature by the way; worship Douglas Adams.
ZARDE the 130/5.
M.J.S
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:38 pm

M.J.S wrote:Cheers Bud, thought as much, time to go hunting. Thanks.

The power to mine was in the middle of the boot , at the bottom, just in front of the tank.

An "earth" was run, from the light, to the switch and then back to the battery side of an isolator.

Therefore the lamp will light even if the isolator is removed. (So you can see to put it back!)
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: M.J.S » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:08 pm

Many thanks.

According to my history file, my isolator was repositioned by Kelvedon Lotus to under the dashboard before I got the car, and the PO was charged a pretty penny for the pleasure, let me tell you. :shock:
ZARDE the 130/5.
M.J.S
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: