Elan rear light

PostPost by: JimE » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:54 pm

In changing a rear bulb on my Sprint I noticed the lens gasket has ELAN inscribed on it. Must have been a special batch made for Lotus at the time as my +2 and Europa lights do not include the same. Just a fact for the library.
Attachments
img_0176.jpg and
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:03 pm

Unless it was inscribed in the Lotus factory as they were common to elans, europas, plus 2s (though I know you know that :-) ) which were all built on the same mixed production lines.
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:05 am

Jim,
The cutout in the seal is a condensate drain and is placed at the bottom, as per your photo'. The 2 seat Elan's tail light units are upside down when compared to the +2 and Europa (and the E-Type Jaguars). If the seals from the +2 and Europa are used on the 2 seater, the drains would be at the top. Not ideal. Hence the special seal for the 2 seater.
Cheers,
Colin.

JimE wrote:In changing a rear bulb on my Sprint I noticed the lens gasket has ELAN inscribed on it. Must have been a special batch made for Lotus at the time as my +2 and Europa lights do not include the same. Just a fact for the library.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:44 pm

you learn something new every day! Great info, thanks!
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:11 pm

That explains it then. Nice one Colin.
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:17 pm

fatboyoz wrote:Jim,
The cutout in the seal is a condensate drain and is placed at the bottom, as per your photo'. The 2 seat Elan's tail light units are upside down when compared to the +2 and Europa (and the E-Type Jaguars). If the seals from the +2 and Europa are used on the 2 seater, the drains would be at the top. Not ideal. Hence the special seal for the 2 seater.
Cheers,
Colin.

Witchcraft !!!! I have had my 2 seater parked next to my +2 for nearly a year and not noticed that :roll:
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: