Anyone tried Magnecor Electrosport 70 ignition wires?

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:13 am

Greetings.

Have looked through the Magnecor webpages a few times, liked what I've read, and was pleasantly surprised to find they have a factory-made set for the Lotus twink. Actually, sets specifically targeting Elan, Europa, and side entry distributor caps with screw-in metal points to hold the wires (as supplied originally).

The set for Elan with side entry cap is #4790. Sold here: https://autoplicity.com/3478003-magneco ... gJRVPD_BwE

Anyone with Magnecor experience? The price from Autoplicity (above) puts the lie to Magnecor being horribly expensive. Love to hear people's thoughts and especially any experiences with fit, performance, emi rfi, durability, et cetera.

Thanks,

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HampshireMush » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:42 am

Hi Randy

I bought a complete set including dizzy cap from Sue Miller 3 years ago and they have been absolutely fine.

Fit was fine and have survived many plug cleanings without issue.

I have fitted a modern radio (I use the car for commuting and like the traffic broadcasts!) with both FM and digital and have zero interference.

Would have no problem recommending them

John
John

1969 Elan S4 SE
HampshireMush
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:49 am

I suspect the ready made kits would supply wires for the short route version (bundled between the carbs), while I prefer the route round the block : I find that neater. It is not difficult to buy ignition wire by the length and cut each wire to ones taste.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:02 am

I have used Magnecor leads on my competition Elan for many years with absolute reliability. I do run a Bosch distributor which has plug in cap connections

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:18 am

I too can happily endorse Magnecor leads, I have a set on the Elan and another set on an E-type. Red rotor arms and Bosch blue coils also get my vote for promoting happy sparks.
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:08 pm

I just had Magnecor make up a custom set of wires for my Zetec Plus2. Needed extra long leads to connect to the Electromotive ignition mounted on the passenger footwell. Had them put the plug end on and leave the module end off, so I could cut to length and fit the connectors. Bit of a challenge to install the 90 degree boot over the large diameter wire, but with help from Holywood3645, all went well. Very satisfied with the quality, custom build, price and quick service.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:23 pm

Thanks for the replies. Good info.

I have made up sets on my own and am very inclined to agree with Magnecor's assertions that installing connectors without very expensive quality tools makes for problems.

Interesting that Magnecor makes sets for over-the-top as well as around the back on the twink. Must be a popular engine. ;)
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:10 am

A Christmas present from my wife approximately 50 years ago, was a Belden wire terminal kit. Included in the kit were terminal ends for spark plug wires, and the proper tool for installation. It has been life saver many times when trying to construct plug wires.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: