Replacement Tachometer

PostPost by: bdea » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:01 am

I have read somewhere that you can replace the inside mechanism of a Smiths tachometer with a VDO unit- Question:

1) Can the original faceplate used in place of the VDO faceplate?
2) Does the markings match the Smith unit to be accurate? ie 1k rpm- 7K rpm

Is the VDO Vision Tachometer #333 151, 7,000 RPM, 3 1/8" dia. The correct one?

I am trying to get an accurate Tachometer because my current Smith RVI unit will not work wjth my Pertronix/ MSD unit. I know you have to convert it to a voltage sensing unit. Does anyone have a current repair shop for this conversion ie Moma/ Nisongers and what did they charge?

When I opened up my Smith unit, I thought I could just replace all capacitors and resistors and it might work as stated on other forums, who knows!

Thanks for all the wonderful knowledge in these forums, Brad
bdea
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: miked » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:44 pm

Brad,

I have just boxed my tacho and sent it to Speedy Cables in South Wales. Tel no 01639 732213. They refurb'/macth to the ignition stated. It is about ?50 plus vat and postage.

regards Mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bdea » Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:19 pm

Brad,

I had a bad experience with Nisonger. I sent them my tach, speedo, and combo gauge. While they were able to fix the speedo ($115) and the combo ($120), despite the claims on their web site, they were not able to convert my tach to work with a Piranha ignition system. I had to send it back twice and they were unwilling to refund the $115 I had paid to modify the tach. Eventually, I had to get Visa to reverse the charges. I also ordered an ammeter from them and they sent the wrong one. So I still don't have a tach that works with this electronic ignition system and I'm hesitant to use a vendor that does not accept credit cards, so I'm not sure what I will do next.

Frank Howard
bdea
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: