Earthing point list?

PostPost by: berni29 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:43 pm

Hi There

I do not know if this has been answered in the past (search function is not working) but does anyone have a list of the earhing points for a +2? My electrics have almost stopped working altogether now.

Also what is the best method? Emery paper and nothing else, or do people use some sort of mix (vaseline?) to keep the contact clean? Also what abput electrical contact cleaner that comes in a can. Any use for out of reach behind dash conatcts?

Many thanks

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:49 pm

Hi Berni.

Check the manual - section M.20 (p83). You must have a copy with your collection of cars !! It gives a list of the earthing points.

Best wishes,
Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:08 pm

Hi Matthew

You would think so! As it happens, I do have a poor copy of a manual with a fair few pages missing. It is about time that I got a proper one. For some reason the cars I buy never come with them. I cannot remember having seen the page of which you speak, but will have a look tomorrow. I intend to add a couple of straps while checking the existing ones. I remember putting a double lead in the boot from the -ve terminal on my yellow car, and that certainly helped.

Thanks

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:57 pm

be creative ----I grounded the chassis to the dash instruments and the instruments to each other ---and the battery to the right rear shock tower and behind the drivers seat at the seat belt bolt --the motor to the front chassis and of course the starter acts as a ground at the bolted area ---if any thing shorts it will resemble shock and awe --ed :shock:
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:30 pm

Hi

What speed do your electric windows work at? Mine have more or less stopped. Today I added another earth lead from the battery to the other rear chassis mounting bolt. Tomorrow I will work my way towards the front and start to have a look behind the dash and clean the main earth back there. Do the electric windows earth there or elsewhere?

Many thanks

Berni
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:54 pm

mine has no power window motors ---you lift or push the window manually ---ed
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:36 pm

Hi Berni,
I think the window motors pick up an earth lead just under the side panel of the foot well (right had side as you sit). The leads from the lights and the motor come through a small length of pipe from the door into the car. Its at this point there are a number of connections for the motor and lights.
This earth point is fed from a bolt that goes into the chassis just behind the dashboard where the light switch is. If you remove the side well trim that covers the foot well heater hose you will see that there is a large bolt with a number of black cables (drivers side). I would suggest that you undo and the tighten back up to reseat the bolt.

Dave
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:37 am

Hi Dave

I found the window connectors as you said. I removed all of the bullet connectors and soldered the wires directly together. However, there are no earth wires leading to the chassis bolt behind the dashboard on the drivers side. I will get the panel off the passanger side and have a look there as soon as I can. I hope that they are there!

Many thanks

Berni
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:31 pm

It could be your motor. My '69 +2 has always had a sleepy driver's side window, I pull and push a bit to help it along, the passenger's side works great. Also, if moisture has gotten inside the door, corrosion on the regulator hinges can make for slow movement, and eventual motor burn out. I'd pull the door panel and lube everything in sight, (including door opening and lock mechanisms,) I use spray lithium grease and a toothbrush. Finally, check the vertical window channel alignment. Lubing the ends of the glass can free them up also. (a little WD40)
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: