Dashboard Switch wanted.

PostPost by: mmatthej1 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm after a rocker switch of the type fitted in S4/Sprint dashboard, just to use for sizing purposes, for a new dashboard.

Has anyone got such a thing that they no longer need, in any condition?

Alternatively, can anyone point me to the origin of the switch, in terms of 'who did Lotus borrow it from?' - looking at the usual book seems to (maybe) point at Rover 3-litre??
mmatthej1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:27 pm

Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mmatthej1 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:37 pm

Thanks - probs take too long to get it over to UK but interesting to see how it fixes to back of dash - screwed in position, by the look of it............r
mmatthej1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:52 pm

I have an old switch you are welcome to have. I am currently on holiday and will be home next week. Please ask again if you have not received help sooner.

I am curious, are you making your own dash? I bought a new dash, and regretted that decision. In my opinion, I should have had the old dash repaired. At least, that way it would have fitted the car.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mmatthej1 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:36 am

Thanks Richard, that offer sounds great and really helpful !

When I bought my Sprint, the seller agreed to make a new wooden dash, to replace the metal item that he had installed, having got fed up - during his 38 year ownership period - with wooden dashs deteriorating and needing replacements. He has made dashes before and is adept at all the subtle shapings that are required, also having a tame laminator ready to apply that surface, to complete the item!

(I actually think that the metal dash is very good, with black crackle finish and - in my recent ownership - some proprietary function labels added, to help speedy identification of switch functions. The fact remains that any future buyer may be put off, unless wood is used and, as I'm not planning long term ownership, the car will do best if presented as the market expects)

I've had lots of ongoing support & advice from the previous owner, a model of care & affection for the car, beyond his ownership!
mmatthej1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:44 pm

Hi John

As I was the previous owner thanks for the compliments!

Actually the facia isn't metal- it's made of birch ply covered in ambla. I made this and trimmed it over 20 odd years ago and although some might not like the sound of it I can assure you that it is all done to professional std- it is definitely NOT a back street special.

It still looks like it did when installed- like a quality factory job.

Personally I don't like wooden facias- too delicate, too easily damaged, prone to fade/heat/water damage and a little bit of lacquer crazing thrown in! Just my opinion.

Re your cutting out problem in the other post- although we've discussed this I reckon the suggestion about the ignition pack might be correct- in fact on that car I had exactly the same problem about 28 years ago- the car would suddenly die and refuse to restart. Left for about an hour or so it would then run perfectly normally.

It was only when it refused to start and the RAC recovered me that I solved the problem by testing the Lumenition pack.

Incidentally, Lumenition replaced the pack free of charge believe it or not- and the unit was well out of warranty.

Regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:10 pm

John,

I am back home and have found an old switch for you.

I need an address so that I can post it to you. I would like it back when you have finished with it, as the best advice I have had with respect to Lotus is never throw anything away, as you may need it for some as yet unknown reason.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mmatthej1 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:56 pm

Thanks for offer Richard - I have another strand running in my switch quest, so if I may do so without giving any offence and in full appreciation of your kind offer, can I 'park' matters for the moment, please?

I will revert as to progress, one way or another! Again, many thanks.
mmatthej1
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: