Right Hand Side Window Wont Move (Elan +2S130)

PostPost by: GHill » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:53 pm

Hi All

So I have a little issue -the right hand side electric window will not move. Here is what i have found out so far:

- I get continuity between both the black/blue and blue/yellow and the earth at the dash and the electric window motor
- when i press down, I get 13V at the blue/yellow and the earth dash
- when I press up I get 6V at the blue/yellow and the earth dash
- when I press down, I get 4V at the black/blue and the earth dash
- when I press up, I get 4V at the black/blue and the earth dash
- I get 12V when I press up/down between the dash earth and the window earth

So 2 questions - 1 is there a way to get the window into the up position and 2 any idea what is wrong?

Regards
G
To get something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done!
GHill
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:31 pm

These notes may help you.

On an Elan the Earth connection to the window motor is not part of its operation, it merely earths all the metal to reduce possible crackle radio interference. I'm not sure if this is the same for the +2

On an Elan the other two wires go to the DC motor itself. Feed 12v to it in one direction and the motor moves one way, reverse the polarity of the feed and the motor moves the other way. I'm not sure if this is the same for the +2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The fact that the voltages are reducing to 4 volts implies that the circuit is working but the motor has stuck. Do not keep the power on for long it might burn out the motor.

You might need to remove the door trim and get the motor out to sort out what is happening.

http://www.lotuselan.net/wiki/BL_-_Body ... ndows_%2B2
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:50 pm

Bill, the Plus 2 lift motors are completely different than the Elan windows, and the wiring is a very conventional three wire setup (two hots and a ground).

To further trouble shoot I would suggest pulling the door panel and run auxiliary power directly from a spare battery or booster pack to the lift motor (with your car battery disconnected or the motors isolated from the car wiring). The black wire is Ground. The two coloured wires are individually powered with 12v supply to make the motor go up or down. I don't have to hand which is up and which is down, but it should be apparent if the motor runs at all.

Some guys have had success servicing the lift motors. I would recommend just getting rebuilt units. They are readily available AC Delco units used in a wide variety of GM cars from the late sixties and early seventies. Not sure of an appropriate donor car reference in the U.K. though.

If the motor still works OK, we can follow up further on the switch and wiring as required.

This thread has the part call up I used over here for the motors, which were easily obtained at the local parts store....

lotus-electrical-f38/fitting-window-motor-assemblies-t24949.html

HTH

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: