Oil pressure plastic pipe replacement for Elan 1965..

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:46 am

2cams70 wrote:I really don't understand why a braided hose is significantly better than a Nylon hose in this application. The only real advantage of the braided hose is the added resistance against chafing provided by the braid (assuming the rubber hose within is of adequate pressure rating). In fact behind the braid you probably have a rubber hose inferior to the original Nylon. If the rubber hose underneath the braid springs a leak it's still going to pi** out everywhere through the gaps in the braid anyway. Bling without purpose in my opinion.

Understand the benefits of the isolator however. That makes sense for added safety.

The braided hose is good for more than 100bar @170C. It is not only abrasion resistant, it will act like a hacksaw with anything it contacts so it should be secured and not rub on the chassis, bodywork or wiring.

Most race sanctioning bodies require braided stainless lines for any fluids inside the cockpit.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:25 am

Andy8421 wrote:I have always considered it bad form to have high pressure, hot, flammable oil piped into the passenger compartment - particularly if it is in a thin nylon tube draped over your legs. Using a braded line seems a good start, and I have seen (but can't now find) a mechanical device that has oil pressure on one side and via a piston applies the same pressure to an inert fluid for the pipe run into the passenger compartment.

You dont need to worry about injury from leaking oil from the pressure gauge tubing. You are much more likely to be injured by some other car driven by some other idiot hitting you. :x

The flammability of engine oil is very low and hard to ignite, the fibre glass burns more easily :roll: . The small amount that will come out a leaking tube means it will cool largely before it contacts you so direct burns risk is low also. The risk of failure of the nylon tube is also very low in the first place in practice as all reports of leakage I have heard are from the fittings at the engine end rather than the tube itself or fitting to the guage in the cockpit

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: loueelotus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:29 pm

Hi 2cams70,

I see your point. My issue is that the original hose has been on the engine for the life of the car and just for safety purposes I feel that putting a braided hose which I bought from RD (who sells quality products) would put my mind at ease for at least that, when I take longer rides in deep country..
Louis Lottner
Elan S2 1965 #26-4840
Colin Chapman’s immortal words ‘Simplify, then add lightness’
loueelotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotocone » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:24 am

Lou, Just looked at my braided line and see that I covered it with a clear plastic tube in the dash area with all of that wiring. Almost forgot that from a few years ago. I was trying to protect the wiring insulation from rubbing against the braided steel and causing shorts. Wouldn't that be fun? Dan mentioned the "hacksaw" possibility and that got me thinking.

Bob
Bob
1969 S4
lotocone
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: loueelotus » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:26 am

Thank you Bob and StressCraxx for the info will do when I place the line..

Regards, Lou :D
Louis Lottner
Elan S2 1965 #26-4840
Colin Chapman’s immortal words ‘Simplify, then add lightness’
loueelotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: