Converting headlights for permanent use in Europe

PostPost by: GrahamH » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:00 am

I have a UK spec plus 2 which I am going to export to Spain permanently, so I need to convert the headlights for use on the wrong side.

Is it possible to do this or do the units have to be changed ? If the latter, any ideas where to get some ?

Thanks, Graham.
GrahamH
New-tral

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:10 am

Assuming you have sealed beam units then it should be a case of just swapping them over for European ones as the light patterns will be totally different. I believe the front of the units have an embossed marking that identifies their spec.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrahamH » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:25 am

Thanks Steve,

You?re right, I?ve just found the conversion on Paul Matty?s web site.

Graham.
GrahamH
New-tral

PostPost by: Craven » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:16 am

Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:50 am

If you have non sealed beam lights with H4 bulbs you can modify the bulbs and rotate them a few degrees to create a continental dipped beam pattern, it works very well on round headlights, not quite as well on my plain lens rectangular Skoda ones but I drove with them for 12 years in France (correct pattern for the CT test) before finally changing them recently for the correct European ones.

the difference in beam pattern between the modified and the correct ones is minor, the real difference is that my light output is much brighter, I had not realised that there was some non visible yellowing of the plastic and dulling of the reflector.

PM me if you require more d?tails of how to modify or do a Google search.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: coopers » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:24 am

Graham, i have just taken a set of lights off my car when it came over from France, so European dip. Are these any good to you?
coopers
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:50 pm

Just buy a pair of units with E11 engraved on glass, not expensive.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcraven » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:08 pm

alan.barker wrote:Just buy a pair of units with E11 engraved on glass, not expensive.
Alan

I thought E11 was the UK code. But the code simply indicates where the device was certified as complying with EU regulations. That may in practice mean it is likely to suit the side of the road driven on in that country, but I don't think that's inevitable, i.e. a manufacturer in one country could make some lights suitable for local conditions and some suitable for another country.
Last edited by rcraven on Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert
rcraven
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:13 pm

Sorry " E4 Lucas European"
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcraven » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:31 pm

Sorry Alan, my amended post crossed with yours.
Robert
rcraven
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrahamH » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:46 am

Graham, i have just taken a set of lights off my car when it came over from France, so European dip. Are these any good to you?

Thanks very much for the offer Coopers, I have ordered what I think I need from Paul Matty as I?m in a little bit of a hurry to get the Spanish MOT before the English one runs out. If what they send isn?t suitable then I may be back in touch. 8)
GrahamH
New-tral

Total Online: