s4 main beam dip beam switch

PostPost by: Type28 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:53 am

Hi Folks

Anyone tried one of these as a replacement main/dip beam switch?

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-152616

Mine has stopped working again- When it stops working I take it out and clean it with contact cleaner and it works for a few weeks and stops until it is cleaned again?- think I could remove the switch blind folded :D

Cheers
George
Type28
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:10 pm

Why not get a cheaper one off Ebay, there's usually quite a few on there.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:23 pm

William2 wrote:Why not get a cheaper one off Ebay, there's usually quite a few on there.

There's always plenty of Triumph indicator & overdrive switches on ebay, but I've not found the dip/main switches, could you post a link please.

The Rimmer bros unit in the link fromType28 is, or at least looks, identical to the original in my +2. It has the flash facility, which was not much use with the vacuum failsafe system, as it was too slow, but since I've converted to electric, it's actually quite handy. My S4 Elan has a more basic type dip switch from the Spitfire MK4 & early 1500 which doesn't have the flash facility & seems to now be unobtainable, but I can see no reason why the type with flash wouldn't fit & work.

George, if your switch works for a while after a clean, then plays up again, it would suggest there is too much electrical load on it, do you have the correct relays in the system? If so, the dip switch should only be supplying power to the relay coils & this should not be enough to cause any build up of crud on the contacts.

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: sveris » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:10 pm

If anyone needs the 2-position type - without the flash feature - I have nice used one in good, working condition.

Steve in Ohio
sveris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: dgym » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:47 am

I've had a rimmers one come apart pretty quickly. I'd recommend hunting for new old stock as the quality is far better.
36/6612
1967 S3 Coupe (left the factory in 66)
original rego PPC 8E
original owner B.M. Wetherill ..are you out there?
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Type28 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi Folks

Thanks for the replies.

I will try and find a NOS item.

Cheers
George
Type28
Second Gear
Second Gear