Lotus Elan

Wosp Starter Wiring

PostPost by: Peter +2 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:27 am

Hello all,

I am in search of clarification as to how to wire up a Wosp Starter Motor for a +2 retaining the original solenoid.

The original instructions state:

"Fit the main power feed cable to the M8 stud post ensuring not to over-tighten this nut. Over-tightening can twist the internal solenoid contact reducing the efficiency of the unit or causing it to fail altogether.

Retain the black insulated link wire which is fitted between the ignition trigger terminal and the main battery stud. This means the original bulkhead mounted solenoid is still in use."

I assume reference to the "main battery stud" means the "M8 stud post", so effectivery bridging between the ignition trigger and terminal and M8 stud post.

I think i am correct but I read the piece several times and walked away with different thoughts, oh pictures (wiring diagrams) speak louder than words.

Cheers in advance.

Peter
1968 +2 BRM
Peter +2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:35 am

One of the members that are good at auto electrics will confirm (I hope!) that there's no need to do anything if you want to continue using your existing solenoid.

The unit earths through it's mounting flange and you provide positive feed through the existing cable when you turn the key via the still working solenoid.

I lifted the following from their web site, it's a bit gobbledegook to a non auto electrician :?

Fitting as a replacement for an inertia type starter:

Where our starter directly replaces an inertia type original fitment starter motor we will fit the unit with a link wire between the ignition trigger terminal and the battery stud post. This can also be done internally prior to purchasing the unit however linking these two terminals externally enables you to convert your vehicle?s wiring to suit a pre-engaged starter at any time therefore bypassing your bulkhead mounted solenoid.
?Remove the main power cable from your existing inertia type starter and then remove the unit from your vehicle.
?Fit the WOSP high torque starter in place of the original item.
?Fit the main power feed cable to the M8 stud post ensuring not to over-tighten this nut. Over-tightening can twist the internal solenoid contact reducing the efficiency of the unit or causing it to fail altogether.
?Retain the black insulated link wire which is fitted between the ignition trigger terminal and the main battery stud. This means the original bulkhead mounted solenoid is still in use.
?If you wanted to bypass your original solenoid you can dispose of the black insulated link wire supplied attached to the unit and re-route the trigger wire going to your current solenoid down to your new WOSP starter motor. This will then convert the wiring arrangement to ?pre-engaged type?.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:40 am

Peter

You are correct,just the big wire to the starter, the inbuild solenoid is energised by the link wire that's on the same stud ( M8).

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:28 pm

It's clear enough. THe WOSP motor has a built in solenoid, which obviously must be energised during starting.

The wire described as the main power lead is the thick wire from the existing bulkhead solenoid to the starter motor, It is only energised when the bulkhead solenoid is activated by the START position of the ignition key.

By linking the WOSP internal solenoid trigger terminal to the fat main power lead, the internal solenoid is activated whenever you attempt to start.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Peter +2 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:55 pm

Alan/John/Bill

Many thanks for your responses calrifying the situation.

Now looking forward to getting in the garage on Saturday and completeing the job!

Cheers

Peter
1968 +2 BRM
Peter +2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: l10tus » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:20 pm

Peter,

What's the idea in retaining the original solenoid ?

The WOSP just needs energising from your ignition switch / wire directly.

Why include 2no. Solenoids ? ( so it looks original ?).

Pray educate the unknowing !

Regards,

Phil.
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

Sometimes my Lotus makes me cry.
l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:34 pm

l10tus wrote:Peter,

What's the idea in retaining the original solenoid ?

The WOSP just needs energising from your ignition switch / wire directly.

Why include 2no. Solenoids ? ( so it looks original ?).

Pray educate the unknowing !

Regards,

Phil.

Phil

It saves having to run an extra wire from the solenoid or starter switch to the starter motor.

If you are lucky enough to have a red button solenoid you can still use it to turn the engine over.

and it looks original...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Peter +2 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:20 am

Phil,

To be honest, it was easier to leave in, as John mentioned.

It's all done now and engine whizzes into life, well at least the starter whizzes!

Peter
1968 +2 BRM
Peter +2
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: