Ground issue?

PostPost by: Flightmate » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:49 am

Hey everybody- new member with an electrical question on my 69 FHC. While driving last week, I was intermittantly loosing power to my tach. After a closer look, I noticed that my fuel gauge was also going to zero every time the tach did. Eventually they both just stayed at zero and no longer worked at all. I checked everything else when I got home, and found I had also lost power to my horn and turn signals.

Some maybe helpful background. I recently replaced the oil pump and removed 2 ground wires. The first was the engine to engine mount strap on the left side. The other one is a ground the previous owner had running from a strap that is holding the ignition coil to the body of the car and going to the top bolt of the oil pump.

I have tried removing, cleaning, and replacing those 2 grounds a couple of times since I had never had any of these issues before replacing the oil pump.

I would appreciate any ideas as electrical issues are not my strongest area of knowledge. Thanks!
Flightmate
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:31 pm

Probably the wipers too, they`re all on the same fuse which probably is loose or has dirty contacts. It should be the bottom one of the 2.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Flightmate » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:22 pm

One of the ends of the fuse had come loose so it still looked good, but when I wiggled it the end just came off. Problem solved. Thank You!
Flightmate
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:39 pm

Those glass fuses are prone to doing that.

I've had the situation where on taking the fuse out and testing with a meter it was fine, put it back & it didn't work ... :evil:

I now carry spare fuses in the otherwise unused ashtray.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: