Elan S3 Instrument Bulbs

PostPost by: Mazzini » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:54 pm

I'm thinking of replacing the instrument illumination bulbs with LED's from Quicksilver Automotive, does anybody have a list of the bulbs that were originally fitted?
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:31 am

Funny you should say that As I just bought 6 LED lamps for my instruments. I got them off eBay though: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120886470328

All my instrument bulbs are the very small screw fitting like old fashioned hand torch bulbs, so I didn't bother much on checking ratings etc.

I only got around to trying one out yesterday for the first time. My garage wasn't very dark so I could barely see the light from the old or the new bulb on the speedo. Both lit up outside the instrument by touching the bulb-holder frame to the speedo bezel as earth.

The LED is a little brighter, but not a lot, so I am seriously thinking that I might take each instrument out, take it out of the case and spray the inside of the case with mirror chrome type spray paint. That should set the light bouncing around in there so that more creeps around the dial to illuminate the face.

So far I have only replaced the bulb in the speedo as the others are more difficult to get at behind the dash.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: