Electrical oil pressure sender query

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun May 22, 2016 10:34 am

Marc
Mine came with just a sender,I fitted a T to give a low pressure warning (1968 ),where is your low pressure warning light?

Increase from 1/8 to 1/4 will need a thick wall...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Marct » Sun May 22, 2016 1:45 pm

John - The low pressure warning light is on the extreme right of the dash along with an additional turn indicator dash light and one unconnected/unused dash warning light. All non-standard I suspect.

Might have to get a thicker brass hex adapter cut for the 1/4 BSP tapping.

Marc
Marct
New-tral

PostPost by: gus » Sun May 22, 2016 3:41 pm

The reason you will find non standard mechanical oil pressure gauges in the +2 is simple.

It takes about, ohh, ten seconds for the gauge to hit zero from 40 when oil pressure is removed. This is really helpful when zipping down a right hand exit ramp and you want to pretend that the sound you hear is not your main bearings rattling.........................
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun May 22, 2016 3:58 pm

Marct wrote:John - The low pressure warning light is on the extreme right of the dash along with an additional turn indicator dash light and one unconnected/unused dash warning light. All non-standard I suspect.

Might have to get a thicker brass hex adapter cut for the 1/4 BSP tapping.

Marc

Marc
Might be easier to re-thread the sender 1/8 npt ?
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: yvesmontreal » Mon May 23, 2016 2:54 am

If you do end up with an adapter, avoid by all means any lengthy combinations that will put a stress on a brass fitting. Brass has very limited fatigue resistance and will crack and fail quickly.
Yves in Montreal
1969 Elan S4 DHC
yvesmontreal
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:32 am

yvesmontreal wrote:If you do end up with an adapter, avoid by all means any lengthy combinations that will put a stress on a brass fitting. Brass has very limited fatigue resistance and will crack and fail quickly.

Yes i have seen it happen on a couple of racing engines where people had added low pressure oil warning lights or ignition / fuel pump cutouts on loss of oil pressure.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tom D » Wed May 25, 2016 2:29 pm

I am having reasonable success with this unit:

https://www.lspeedo.com/oil-pressure-sender-p-n-279d.php

I can find nothing else that would even come close to a correct reading with my stock gauge. This has the correct threads, gives me an acceptably accurate hot reading around 30psi, and at least gets the job done, in the absence of a perfect alternative.
Tom D.
Madison, Wisconsin USA
1971 Lotus Elan +2S (Federal)
VIN 7101010108N
Tom D
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Marct » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:07 pm

So I fitted the Jaguar 1801/06 (C15474) sender from SNG Barratt but the reading is at 55 to 60psi so maxing out the gauge. The garage I use checked the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge an it is around 40psi. Caebondt Automotive Instruments would make me a bespoke sender but they need the part number off the gauge or preferably have the gauge sent to them. Trouble is the gauge is in the dash and it would meant removing the dash yet again which has got too expensive as I don't do the work myself.

Can anyone with the 60psi Smiths gauge from an early +2 tell me what the part number is?

Many thanks

Marc
Marct
New-tral

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:41 pm

Marc

Sender PT 1817/06
Gauge BP 2204/11

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Marct » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:17 am

John - thanks for that information. I will get in touch with Caerbont next with these part numbers. Fingers crossed this time! Will let you know how I get on.

Marc
Marct
New-tral

PostPost by: patrics » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:42 am

Hi,
Probably haven't understood this correctly but why not just run hydraulic hose from engine to a brass union on side of the engine bay and fit any sender that would work - wouldn't have to worry about getting correct thread etc and no mass of brass hanging on side of the block.

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Marct » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:19 pm

Hi Steve,

I had a non-standard Smiths gauge with direct oil feed to rear of gauge but fitted the correct electrical Smiths oil pressure gauge to match the other standard gauges....that's where the problems started with finding the correct electrical sender. I think I'm close to a solution now.

Thanks

Marc
Marct
New-tral

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:24 pm

Oil pressure sender calibration...

20160708_171159_resized.jpg and

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:57 pm

That looks like you have Nox onboard to burn off the Scoobydoos :mrgreen:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Marct » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:50 pm

I finally got the specially made up sender from Caebondt Automotive Instruments and fitted it tonight. Burnt the back of my hand in the process because I was to impatient to wait for the engine to cool. To add insult to injury, the reading is too low with this new sender giving about 28psi on the gauge. That's it - I give up for now. If the dash ever has to come off I might consider sending the gauge to Caerbondt to be matched up with a bespoke sender.

Marc
Marct
New-tral

PreviousNext

Total Online: