indicator or blinker speed

PostPost by: dgym » Thu May 19, 2016 5:24 am

Hi all,
Im having difficulty finding the reason my indicators flash very slowly at idle and faster at higher revs. It's the same for both sides, I've checked connections and earths, replaced some, and still have the same problem. The wiring when revealed does look very old (that tired dull look that overused wires get)

I've noticed that the car has no voltage stabilizer, should it? it's in the schematic.

The car has been converted to an alternator by someone before me. can the alternator regulator cause this problem?
I'm on the verge of buying a new loom and alternator and re making some nice fat battery/earth leads just to blow this problem to smitherines!

thanks in advance,
-Jim
36/6612
1967 S3 Coupe (left the factory in 66)
original rego PPC 8E
original owner B.M. Wetherill ..are you out there?
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vxah » Thu May 19, 2016 7:25 am

Jim, have you checked the voltage at idle? Might be that it drops low due to old style alternator with quite a large pulley? The twink has quite a small crankshaft pulley so that makes it difficult to get a high enough alternator rpm for a good output at idle.
Unless it's a very early type alternator the regulator will be built into the unit and the dynamo regulator should have been bypassed..
vxah
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dgym » Thu May 19, 2016 7:35 am

I have checked the voltage and it was good. The alternator is from a Kubota I think. It looks very well used.
you have got me thinking about belt tightness though too...
36/6612
original rego PPC 8E
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Thu May 19, 2016 8:12 am

You also mention the voltage stabiliser. [I assume you mean the one behind the dash, on a +2 at least] I believe this is just to regulate the voltage to the fuel guage & Tacho to keep them reading steady (& possibly correct]... but am happy to be corrected !
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dgym » Thu May 19, 2016 8:58 am

yes the voltage stabilizer popped in to my head as something that could cause this (from previous triumph/mg forums read?) but i can't seem to find that being said anymore on the internet. maybe I dreamt it.

the fact that a stabilizer is in the schematic and not in my car seemed odd.

the car has never had steady indicators since I've had it.
36/6612
original rego PPC 8E
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Thu May 19, 2016 10:41 am

Wotsisname is correct. The voltage stabiliser is for the tacho and fuel gauge. It has nothing to do with the indicators. Both tacho and fuel gauge work without the stabiliser but may not be entirely accurate - but then they aren't anyway even with it! :lol:

You say the idling voltage is OK but what is it? The fact that the indicators slow down when idling is a sure sign of a voltage drop. With an alternator you should get around 13 volts even at idle speed. One way to fix the indicator blink rate permanently is to swap the flasher unit for an electronic one. This type isn't bothered about voltage changes and will give a regular output even when the voltage is lower.

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dgym » Thu May 19, 2016 10:58 am

voltage was 12 point something consistently at Idle and higher revs. It was the same as whatever youtube video I was watching suggested.

I will investigate this electronic flasher thanks mike.

I've just been looking up wiring loom supplies and considering an epic build!
36/6612
original rego PPC 8E
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Thu May 19, 2016 11:06 am

The stabiliser is not for the tach, only electric fuel, pressure, and temperature gauges.
The fact that it may, for convenience, be fitted on the tach is irrelevant.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vxah » Thu May 19, 2016 1:02 pm

!2 point something volts is not enough! you should be getting about 14v at anything above idle with a good battery, if you have a sorted alternator system it will be 14v even at idle with the lights on!
As said also, you could easily fit an electronic flasher unit to the car to give a regular flash rate, I think you will only need to fit an earth wire to it..
vxah
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu May 19, 2016 7:50 pm

wotsisname wrote:You also mention the voltage stabiliser. [I assume you mean the one behind the dash, on a +2 at least] I believe this is just to regulate the voltage to the fuel guage & Tacho to keep them reading steady (& possibly correct]... but am happy to be corrected !

fuel gauge yes, tacho no

tacho has its own internal stabalizer.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: EPA » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:38 am

If when the car was converted to to an alternator the original pulley was retained the alternator may not be spinning fast enough at idle speeds to produce the required voltage. The alternator pulley should be much smaller than the one on the original generator.
This is easy to check by monitoring the voltage though.
Ed
EPA
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: