Dynamo to Alternator conversion Options

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:20 am

Ed, you are probably using this - http://www.burtonpower.com/alternator-k ... kitxf.html

I wonder if Burton have altered the bracket? I bought that kit with the small alternator and it works well, but the bracket needed to have a groove filed in it to clear one of the timing chest bolts. (See photo). I contacted Burton about this and they took the comment on board.
Sorry about all the red goo in the picture. I've cleaned it up now.

Mike
Attachments
alt-bracket.jpg and
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: EPA » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:04 pm

TroonSprint wrote:
Ed, you are probably using this - http://www.burtonpower.com/alternator-k ... kitxf.html

I wonder if Burton have altered the bracket? I bought that kit with the small alternator and it works well, but the bracket needed to have a groove filed in it to clear one of the timing chest bolts. (See photo). I contacted Burton about this and they took the comment on board.
Sorry about all the red goo in the picture. I've cleaned it up now.

Mike

Mine just bolted straight on - that was a couple of years ago
Ed
EPA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: MartinH » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:51 pm

I got my conversion kit from Paul Matty. It is a bog standard Eurotec 43 amp alternator with a top bracket that has the required offset to fit it without spacers. see picture. The guy at Paul Matty even sent me the instructions for how to either wire it via the control box to keep it looking standard or to bypass the control box.I think it cost about ?50 all in.

Not long after I was on my way to classic Le Mans and the alternator packed up in the middle of nowhere while I was trying pick up my Club Lotus tickets for the event. Called the RAC and a British guy turned up in a van fully equipped to support classic UK cars took one look at the alternator and said, "ok I've got one of those" he even new the part number by heart. He charged me ?60 as there was no exchange for my knackered one. That was almost 2 years ago and has worked perfectly since.

Martin
Attachments
alternator.jpg
alternator.jpg (35.34 KiB) Viewed 702 times
1967 Elan convertible S4 body and Spyder chassis
Ducati Monster S4
Ducati 1098s
MartinH
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: fastcat7 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:50 am

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the information and various links to options available over the past few days. After weighing up the best options for me, the choice has been made and I've gone for the Burton engineering option.

http://www.burtonpower.com/alternator-k ... kitxf.html

All now ordered so should be here by mid next week.

That then just leaves me with the little matter of fitting the New radiator & Kenlowe fan, New TTR LSD and drive shafts, suspension upgrade and brakes. (all purchased 2 years ago) I must be mad lol :D :D

Thanks again for all your advice

fastcat7
fastcat7
Lightest is Usually Fastest
fastcat7
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: