Lotus Elan

Dynamo to Alternator conversion Options

PostPost by: fastcat7 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:47 am

Hi folks,

Before swapping over my standard Elan Sprint radiator and electric fan for a Tony Thompson one with Kenlowe fan (already purchased). I think that I should convert from dynamo to alternator.

Being UK based has anybody on here got any experience of the Kelvedon alternator kits which have 2 options either 40amp or 55amp ( I don't know which to go for? car is stock at present) see link below. You can also buy a fitting kit but I don't know if it comes with wiring. (I haven't contacted them yet)

http://www.kelsport.net/parts/products. ... ectionID=5

Or do you know of any alternatives to this available in the UK or Europe?

I do like the Dave Bean conversion kit but importing from the USA is not an option because of expensive postage and probably getting hammered for import duty.

I can muddle my way through electrics so the more complete the kit the better it is for me.

Thanks in advance

Fastcat7
fastcat7
Lightest is Usually Fastest
fastcat7
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:39 am

When I did mine, 20 years ago, Club Lotus did an info sheet with the wiring on. I bought some appropriate cable and an alternator and just did it. it may be worth looking at that.
I've just done my son's Mini with a 55A alternator. I'd suggest that as the minimum.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Peterson JPS Exige
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:47 pm

PO on my s4 fitted alternator from a mini metro.......so far [touch wood] it has been perfectly adequate.

:D fred :D
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:34 pm

Consider the standard generator has only 20+ amp charging, and none at low revs.

So, the smallest alternator will be more than adequate. Even the smallest car has an alternator usually of 40+ amps, it charges at full rate from barely over idle. There is no need for anything larger.

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: EPA » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:31 pm

I fitted a kit from Burton which comes with mounting brackets ,belt, plug and 40 amp alternator for ?266 . It has the advantage of not requiring the adjusting strap to be bolted to the timing chest as the strap is an integral part of the mounting bracket.
I found it very simple to fit and very compact.

Ed
EPA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:59 pm

Ed, you are probably using this - http://www.burtonpower.com/alternator-kit-40amp-x-flow-pre-x-flow-lotus-twin-cam-altkitxf.html

burtonpower_setup.jpg and
Brick out house bracket

I like the idea of no attachment to the timing chest!
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:40 pm

what is wrong with Lucas ACR17 as was an option and all the info is in the Lotus Workshop Manual.
Brackets available and easy to find a Lucas ACR17.
Still running Generater on my Sprint no probem :mrgreen:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:00 pm

alan.barker wrote:what is wrong with Lucas ...........
Alan

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I thought about swapping for a Lucas myself before opting for the RD Enterprises kit, the Lucas Alternator is big & heavy... it was OEM though (on Plus 2s at least...)
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:23 pm

Have you thought about one of these Alternators that look like Dynamos? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Stealth-D ... SwQJhUkYxc There are a few places doing them now. I've not used one myself but they look allot better than an Alternator and i suspect you can use the stock mounts (but you would have to check)

Just an old thread on wiring i have bookmarked.
lotus-electrical-f38/dynamator-conversion-t28679.html
Last edited by Grizzly on Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: EPA » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:25 pm

pharriso wrote:Ed, you are probably using this - http://www.burtonpower.com/alternator-kit-40amp-x-flow-pre-x-flow-lotus-twin-cam-altkitxf.html

BurtonPower_Setup.jpg

I like the idea of no attachment to the timing chest!

That's the one
Ed
EPA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:52 pm

Hi Fastcat

I have attached a note on fitting a alternator to a Lotus 7 that previously had a dynamo. Should give a few pointers
on what to do. basically the same reasoning should apply to the Elan Range.

hope this helps

best of Luck

BOB
Attachments
Dynamo_2_Alternator.pdf
(1005.4 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:33 pm

Check out this thread: http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/lotus-electrical-f38/alternator-conversion-does-your-car-talk-you-t23099-15.html. I made the conversion about four years ago and it weas one of the best things I did. ACR17 is cheap and reliable and fit in very well. I had to change belt length but I've listed that in the discussion. I only bought the alternator - no kit - and it wasn't difficult to fit and set up.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fastcat7 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:01 am

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the advice guys, I now have plenty of bedtime reading and make my decision as to which alternator to fit.

Fastcat7
fastcat7
fastcat7
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: fastcat7 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:56 am

Grizzly wrote:Have you thought about one of these Alternators that look like Dynamos? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Stealth-D ... SwQJhUkYxc There are a few places doing them now. I've not used one myself but they look allot better than an Alternator and i suspect you can use the stock mounts (but you would have to check)

Just an old thread on wiring i have bookmarked.
lotus-electrical-f38/dynamator-conversion-t28679.html

Good call Grizzly, I've posted on a thread from a couple of years ago by people who had fitted them to see if they are any good.
A couple of guys on the TR4 forum have installed them and there doesn't seem to be any problems with them.

Fastcat7
fastcat7
fastcat7
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:14 am

Galwaylotus wrote:Check out this thread: http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/lotus-electrical-f38/alternator-conversion-does-your-car-talk-you-t23099-15.html. I made the conversion about four years ago and it weas one of the best things I did. ACR17 is cheap and reliable and fit in very well. I had to change belt length but I've listed that in the discussion. I only bought the alternator - no kit - and it wasn't difficult to fit and set up.

Well done that man and the belt for an altenator is in the Lotus Elan +2 parts list so OE :wink: :wink:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: