Battery Amp Hour Rating

PostPost by: William2 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:18 pm

I was thinking that if you use a modern high torque starter motor which requires less cranking amperage from the battery and also fit an alternator for more efficient charging then the 037 standard original fit battery may be up to the job?? Any thoughts on this point?
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:08 am

Hi William

Up to a point you can use a smaller battery. By an large batteries with a smaller amp-hr capacity tend to provide lower peak currents on heavy loads such as starting. This may result in starting giving a greater stress on each start so it may not last as long. Assuming you are sticking with Lead Acid. Some post are looking at using other technologies such as Li-on and the like. These may reduce weight but again peak currents and temperature as well as the charging/voltage characteristic may not match a standard alternator, of any rating, which is designed around the characteristics of lead acid chemistry.

I think I would stick with the standard unless of course it is for racing when carrying a smaller battery may offer something into the overall weight saving sums.

regards

Bob
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:26 pm

I have an Odyssey PC925 battery and am very happy with it, loads more power and life compared with the standard battery. Great when the engine is hot.. I know some people fit the smaller PC680 but I could not convince myself that it would be powerful enough as it was so small!! I am sure it is...

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bulfin » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:19 pm

I have had a 680 for several years and have no problems with it. Saves a lot of weight and can mount it in a lot of places.

Another Bob
Bob Bulfin
1969 Elan S4 DHC
Mobile, AL USA
bulfin
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: