Door jamb/courtesy lamp switches

PostPost by: Tom D » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:04 pm

My newly acquired +2S has been stripped of much of its interior by the previous owner, and I am in the process of piecing it back together.

This photo is from a car of very similar build date to mine (maybe it belongs to a member here). Am I right in thinking the two items circled are switches? My car does have holes in both these locations (but switches are long gone).

It seems strange to have two jamb switches, and there is only one shown on the schematic in my manual. But on the other hand a second circuit seems essential if one is going to be able to use the dash switch to operate the interior lights without also illuminating the door puddle lamps.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Tom D.
Madison, Wisconsin USA
1971 Lotus Elan +2S (Federal)
VIN 7101010108N
Tom D
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:33 am

Welcome to the forum and Plus 2 ownership.

My earlier 1969 Federal car only has the one switch top left, which is for the interior lights. They are wired with Purple / White to the centre spade connection and the ground is provided by the switch body mount; IIRC you also need to run a black ground from the dash bracket for this switch to work.

The missing switch is just simple metal piston type switch, perhaps even the same as used on some of the light pod switch configurations (Your car probably does not have these if it is Federal configuration). They attach to the dash bracket with a thin nut. There have been a few posts before suggesting a source or two. Here is a link showing a non-stock but usable replacement from Ray at RD Enterprises our side of the pond

lotus-chassis-f36/door-light-and-interior-lights-t20592.html

Pretty sure you are correct the other switch is for the puddle lights. Can't speak to if they are the same as the other door switches though. Pretty sure I saw them on one of the schematic diagrams in my WSM. Do you have the Workshop Manual?

HTH

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:18 am

My door switches are also shot, so I wondered if these would be a good replacement?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171988876081? ... :MEBIDX:IT
Or....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321807480035? ... :MEBIDX:IT
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: PeterK » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:28 am

Sounds like you don't have a late model wiring diagram - shout if you'd like a scanned copy.

As you suggest, there should be two switches on the door surround (top lefft in your photo). My Plus 2 is a later model and there is no switch on the edge of the lower dash trim (nor individual fog switches), so no idea. Maybe fitted by previous owner.
Peter
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:00 am

Back in the day car burglar alarms came with the cheapest nastiest door switches known to man which I think were pretty much what Lotus used :lol:

The second switches may have been from the fitting of an alarm.

Much later on they worked out that by sensing volt drop they could rely on the existing courtesy lights except that on a Lotus they probably would not work :wink:
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tom D » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:15 pm

Thanks to Stu and all for the replies.

I do have the Lotus manual with Federal +2S wiring diagram. It shows only one door switch per door, which switches to ground both the interior and puddle lights. According to the diagram, the panel/interior light switch on the dash does the same thing in the same circuit, which means the dash switch will also turn on the puddle lights (even if the doors are closed).

Perhaps this is how Lotus meant things to function, but I don't love the idea of the puddle lights being on for any extended period while the doors are closed. I may go ahead and fit two jamb switches on each door (per the photo), to isolate the puddle light circuit from the dash switch, even if it's not a stock arrangement.
Tom D.
Madison, Wisconsin USA
VIN 7101010108N
Tom D
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:43 pm

Interesting Tom. I took a look at the Plus 2 S diagram and see exactly what you mean now.

Check out the Plus 2 S130 diagram (Federal or Non-Federal, they look the same). It shows two door switches per door. The 'Door Warning Light' is switched to ground with a Purple / Red wire and supplied with a Purple 'Hot at all times, Fused'. I believe the later cars also have ash tray lights supplied by Red / White and operated from he dash light switch; I didn't get these lights on my car.

HTH

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tom D » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:46 pm

Thanks Stu, I don't have the 130 schematic in my manual, so it's useful to confirm Lotus did actually use two switches per door at some point.
Tom D.
Madison, Wisconsin USA
VIN 7101010108N
Tom D
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:35 pm

My 73 +2S130/5 has two switches but there both mounted side by side in door opening. The second isn't on the dash.

I'd guess the dash location is some kind of retro fit (factory, dealer or PO) to add the a second switch as it would be much easier to install in the dash than behind the door after the can was assembled.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tom D » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:49 pm

After studying the photo again, and comparing to my real car, there appears to be no way the lower circled item could be a door switch, as it is not in a location the door would touch. Must be something else(?)

I would really appreciate it if anyone with a +2 S130 could provide a photo of the side-by-side door switch arrangement, as I may end up just retro-fitting that arrangement to my car.

Also, can any +2S owners confirm whether their puddle lights illuminate when the dashboard interior light switch is activated (doors closed)?

Thanks!
Tom D.
Madison, Wisconsin USA
VIN 7101010108N
Tom D
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:33 pm

Picture attached, think they are 1 1/4" apart. Not sure on the function I don't think any of mine are working and I have other things to worry about first.
Attachments
20160113_142750.jpg and
For switches +2s130/5
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tom D » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:25 pm

Thanks for the photo. I think I'm going to look around for a dual terminal switch, which might be able to accomplish the same thing without doubling up on switches.
Tom D.
Madison, Wisconsin USA
VIN 7101010108N
Tom D
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vxah » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:56 pm

Iirc the reason for the double switches is that one is for interior lights and the other one is for the puddle and door edge lamps? If you use one switch you would need one with seperate contacts if such a thing exists?
this is because if the contacts are joined then, when the switch is open ie door closed the circuits will be joined together so, the puddle lights and door edge red lights will no longer be handed, they will all come on when any door is open or the interior lamps are switched on at the dashboard?
vxah
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Tom D » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:29 pm

Yes, that's exactly the problem. I believe I've seen dual terminal switches, haven't had a chance to shop yet.
Tom D.
Madison, Wisconsin USA
VIN 7101010108N
Tom D
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: