Electrical gremlins.

PostPost by: GHill » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:46 pm

Hi all,

An interesting (for me) electrical gremlin which I'd appreciate your wisdom.

I have no lights on the dash or tachometer or indicators. However the following works - Windows/ switches as in main lights, side lights, Windows, hazards

Any ideas my guess is a relay of some description?

The loom is in a plus 2 s 130

Cheers
Gareth
To get something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done!
GHill
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:48 pm

My guess is that the behind the dash earth wire is not actually connected to the chassis anywhere.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HampshireMush » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:22 am

I second Bill's response.

I had an identical failure on my S4 whilst driving home from the Dealer when I bought the car. I disassembled the earth connection behind the dash cleaned it up and replaced. All still working fine after almost two years!

The actual connection is easy to get at but you have to remove the under dash trim panel to gain access and its right behind the bottom of the dash under the headlamp switch - at least that 's where it is on mine!

John
John

1969 Elan S4 SE
HampshireMush
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ricarbo » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:11 pm

Interesting that a a lack of earth at the dash takes out the indicators. I don't think i would have expected that.
regards
richard
ricarbo
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:37 am

Hi Gareth

By no lights on the dash do you mean the instrument lights? If all instrument lights are out so problem may be around the int/panel switch which can switch the instrument lights on or off. The indicators /flashers units don't need an earth to work and the tacho problem could be an earth, +12V power feed or the pick up coil ( assuming and RVI style tacho). Sound like there may be more than one problem.

Agree that checking earths is always worthwhile as the laminated wooden dash requires a lot of additional earth to ground all the instruments and this could be playing up.

hope this helps best of luck

Bob
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: