Wiring Diagram for an Elan S3 SE

PostPost by: PacoGago » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:12 am

Hello All,

Just my first Post in this Forum, which I found very interesting because the Tons of informations.

After concluding a very exciting full nut and bolt restoration in a Jag E-Type, where i lern a bit of this world, i have just adquired a Lotus Elan S3 SE, which i got totally dismantled, being now involved again in a full restoration process by myself . After buying some books, i was expecting to get a decent wiring diagram, but all i got is a very small view, being imposible to recognise the wiring. May i ask if some of you have available a decent copy?

I thank you very much in advance for yor replies.

Francisco.
PacoGago
New-tral

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:24 pm

Francisco,

My car is an S4, and when I started looking at the wiring I had the same problem. I spoke to Lotus at the factory and they sent me a copy of the wiring diagram. The hard copy they sent me is 915mm x 603mm.

I don't know if this is a service they still offer, but probably worth asking if they will help.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: webbslinger » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:13 pm

Francisco, when I did mine I made copies from the manual, scaling them up. I used several pieces of paper and then taped them together. Make a couple of copies as you will wear one out. Good luck!
webbslinger
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:55 pm

Francisco
What year S3? Be aware there are some variations in S3 wiring. I have a 67 Super Safety model which has the safety features incorporated in S4 models.
Chris :)
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:48 am

Hello Francisco,

I thought I had an an autocad file of the Elan S3 wiring diagram, but could not find it. In the wiki, there are files that provide drawings for the S4, and the wire color legend, which is really helpful.

http://www.lotuselan.net/wiki/Lotus_Elan_S4_Wiring_Diagram

http://www.lotuselan.net/wiki/Wiring_Legend_for_an_Elan_S4
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PacoGago » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:11 pm

Hi,

Thank you all.

By the way:

The car is from Year 1.967.
I thought already to use a S4 diagram because i got several ones with a vey good quality but i see that there are big differences: for example, as far as I have read, the S3 were all Positive earth.
According the differences, the mine one is a S3 Special Equipment, which means it has electric side Windows.
I tried to enlarge the one i have, but the resolution is very poor and it results unreadable.
I will surf the net in order to get a file in Autocad,, but, of, course, first i will ask at the Factory: really that is a very good idea which i didn?t take in mind.

How ever, many thanks to all: I will remain you informed about my progress in this issue.

Francisco
PacoGago
New-tral

PostPost by: Elan45 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:42 am

All S3 models have electric windows. I am surprised the schematic in your factory shop manual is not clear enough. I have found on my early S3 coupe that the wiring more matches the S1-S2 drawing w/ the window wiring added on to the drawing.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear