Self Parking Wipers Reversal

PostPost by: William2 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:48 pm

In the process of commissioning all the new wiring in my S4 and eventually getting the wiper switch to control the wipers correctly, I find that the wiper parking position is on the passenger side. I need them to park on the driver's side (RH side) as the wiper arms I have are designed for this. What is involved in converting it to self park on this side?
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Thornts » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:23 pm

Hi William2

From memory there is a tin inverted bowl/dome type arrangement on top of the wiper motor. Inside this is an electrical connection with a break in it so when you cut the power to the motor by switching it off in the cockpit, this continues to power the motor until it turns enough to reach the break and dies - the wiper arms stop moving and are parked. When you switch the wipers back on the motor moves past the 'dead' area and the wipers work until you switch them off and they eventually reach the dead area again. You can adjust the position of the bowl (it is held in place with a screw or nut or something similar) changing the orientation of the break so the wipers will stop in a different position. Have a play around (with the arms removed from their spindles perhaps just to play safe with your paintwork, though this should only alter where they park not the arc they move through but I've had enough "well that shouldn't have happened" experiences to last a lifetime!) until the spindles stop in the right place for your arms. Sorry this is a bit vague but as far as I recall, this is basically how the system works - hopefully it will be clearer when you get to your wiper motor.
Have fun.
Cheers
Rob
S2
S3
Thornts
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:30 pm

It depends what type of wiper motor you have. Read carefully this section from Paul Hunt's amazing web site on MGBs (http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/electricstext2.htm#wipers) particularly the bit on Parking. Towards the end of that section he talks about parking on the left or right and different ways to switch over. Many components on the Elan are common with an MGB of similar age, so this web site is a great source of information.

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:22 pm

William,

Did you get new wiper arms? If so, what size and where from? I keep meaning to order a pair from https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/categ ... -wiper-arm but haven't settled down to figure out what exactly needs to be ordered (shaft size, number of splines, type of blade fitting, etc.).

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:12 am

Just move the switch "inside" the motor housing through 90 degrees and all will be fine.
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:02 pm

Thanks forb your help. Nick, I got my wiper arms from Paul Mattys.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: