A clever mod for safety

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:00 am

I never really liked the location of the ignition coil below my carbs.

I thought about changing its location. But i kept in mind the coil must be in a vertical position.

So i used the bracket from clive. Easy install perfect fix. Safety first.
Attachments
20150627_170103.jpg and
Last edited by Pistacchio sprint 72 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cooled down by CliveyBoy!
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Europatc » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:20 am

Is Clive open for business again. I was after some parts a few weeks ago but he had stopped trading because of a family situation I think. His parts are of an excellent quality, pity he doesn't produce more
all the best
Stuart
ImageImage
Europatc
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Rob P » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:24 am

Hi Stuart,
Yes Clive is open for business, I purchased a K&N kit off him just last week , good bit of kit ii is too.

Regarding the coil reposition, I have also moved mine to this position but without having to use any bracket, much easier to get to if you need to work on it.

Rob P
Simplify and add lightness

Lotus Elan S4 Coupe - Wedgewood Blue
Lotus Elise S1 - Racing Green
Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:35 am

Having had an Elan burn out on me whilst I was driving anything to help safety has to be considered. I'm sure this is an improvement but as it would be petrol fumes that would ignite rather than liquid I wonder how much of a difference this actually makes as the vapour would be in the vicinity anyway. I'm no way saying this isn't better just wondering really?

A plumbed in extinguisher so you don't have to open the bonnet and let in a lot of oxygen would be ideal but unless it's around 5kg of CO2 there'd be a serious risk of reigniting once it's run out. Wouldn't be original tho :D
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:50 am

Pistacchio sprint 72 wrote:I never really liked the location of the ignition coil below my carbs. As fuel could drip on it.

I thought about changing its location. But i kept in mind the coil should be in a vertical position.

So i used the bracket from clive. Easy install perfect fix. Safety first. :mrgreen:

Many schools of thought on coil position and orientation. Arguments revolve around oil leaks (have it pointing up), tracking of the ht connections internally (have it pointing down), bubbles in the cooling oil (don't have it horizontal) - take your pick. BMC A series engines (same Lucas coil as the Elan) had the coil mounted horizontally. These days with rubbish Lucas knock-off coils, it will probably pack up no matter what angle you have it.
If you are concerned about coil temperature, best to have it in front of the radiator rather than behind. Also true for electronic ignition modules.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:01 pm

Yep... but i would have to change the lead. Otherwise it would be too short
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mr.Gale » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:03 pm

This is twice now that a member has stated a coil must be mounted vertical. Can someone post a link to a respected website that stated that?
I've mounted the coil in my Elan horizontal (the way it came from the factory) for the past 40 years and it has never been a problem.

Mr.Gale
Attachments
_GWE2538.jpg and
Photo is from the S1 service manual.
Mr.Gale
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:15 pm

Ok i went for example on the msd web site and looked at the pdf for installation for one of their coil

http://www.msdperformance.com/Products/ ... dware.aspx

They recommend the vertical position
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Europatc » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:45 pm

Hello Rob, thank you for that. As for the coil position mentioned by others mine is vertical in my Elan and horizontal in my Europa. I've just fitted an electric fuel pump and it states it should be at 45deg
safe driving
Stuart
ImageImage
Europatc
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:48 pm

Since the distributor is still under the carbs I really don't see the point.....
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:55 am

You beat me to it, I have suffered and witnessed several engine fires on X/flow engines with leaking twin Webers, none of them had the coil under the carbs, all were ignited by the box of sparks called a distributor.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:52 pm

True!
At least, makes an easier access :mrgreen:
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:49 pm

I agree that the coil is easier to get at looking at the photo.
I might be more inclined to worry about the lead rubbing on the carburetor body, and the braided fuel line.
Just a thought...
Jeff 72+2.
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:00 pm

I have positioned my coil on the inner wing (fender) in front of the radiator, where there is some cooler air, at least when the car is moving. A coil, in good condition, does not produce any sparks; that is the function of the distributor; which is rather more difficult to relocate!
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:29 pm

My coil is mounted under the dash where the glove box is located. Need a long coil wire but it works nicely.
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear