Lighting issue? well possibly

PostPost by: Rob P » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:41 pm

Not sure if I can explain this properly but here goes.
Whilst travelling last week I happened to switch on the lights, pulled the headlight switch out to raise the headlamps and was immediately aware that they were on Main beam. I checked the stalk on the steering column and this was in the normal dip position, there was no little blue light either to say they were on main beam.
I then noticed that the rocker switch for the lights was in the middle position, ie sidelights. When I switched it to the second position the headlights went to dip beam and then I could change from dip to main beam with the stalk on the steering column and the little blue light came on to indicate when on main beam. I also noticed that when the headlights were down these were still on when the sidelight switch was on.

here's a little video of the scenario, is this a wiring issue or do other people see this and should I just ensure when I have the headlights on that this rocker switch is fully switched
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MbufSh8Cv0
Rob
Simplify and add lightness

Lotus Elan S4 Coupe - Wedgewood Blue
Lotus Elise S1 - Racing Green
Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:17 pm

It seems like a wiring error.

But first:
1. Did they work properly at some time?
2. What have you done to the car especially the electrics since they last worked correctly?
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:43 pm

That is usually your Flash to pass, sounds like some one has done away with the Flasher relay (should be on high beam if you have the light switch in the Off or Side light position and pull the Vac knob to raise the lights), according to my wiring diagram the FTP should be connected to the Main beam.

Sounds like there correct to me, just some one has removed the Flasher unit.(it's also fairly common for the wrong Flasher to be installed so a minor wiring tweak is required to make them flash)
lotus-electrical-f38/headlight-flash-pass-t34502.html

BTW slightly jealous of how well your headlights raise just at the moment (wish mine both came up at the same time like yours) :roll:
Last edited by Grizzly on Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:52 pm

I'm confused... sounds like the OP has a 3 position rocker switch? My (federal) car has a 2 position...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:53 pm

pharriso wrote:I'm confused... sounds like the OP has a 3 position rocker switch? My (federal) car has a 2 position...

UK car has off, side lights and Dip/Main beam so 3 positions.

Am i correct in saying federal cars don't have side lights?
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:59 pm

Grizzly wrote:
pharriso wrote:I'm confused... sounds like the OP has a 3 position rocker switch? My (federal) car has a 2 position...

UK car has off, side lights and Dip/Main beam so 3 positions.

Am i correct in saying federal cars don't have side lights?

Federal has side lights, you have to pull the vacuum switch to get headlights. Don't you also have to do that on UK cars?
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:01 pm

Have you watched the OP's Video? it demonstrates how the UK lights work well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MbufSh8Cv0

With the headlights down (vac switch in) the dodgy pod switches turn the headlights off, so only the side lights are on even in main dip/main position (but the UK cars have a position on the rocker switch that is Side/parking lights, don't really make sense if the headlights are down as you say but that's just how it is, if you raise the lights in this Side/parking light position you get FTP)
Last edited by Grizzly on Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:08 pm

The first 3 posts are debating whether the wiring is modified or not... so I did not assume that anything was original...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:10 pm

All very confusing but as i said in the third post sounds correct just without the flasher unit.

I probably didn't help (post 5), i meant Side light position on the rocker switch.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:02 am

Yup, I agree, it seems like the flasher unit is shorted, so the lights are on Main all the time when they should be Flashing. The Flasher circuit does not put the Blue instrument tell-tale lamp on.

I thought that with standard wiring, simply pulling the vacuum knob and lifting the headlamps was sufficient to trigger flashing, which is apparently what your wiring is trying to do. With my wiring, which I think is slightly non-standard, the headlamp switch also needs to be in the half way position. So I can't Flash without the side lights on. Merde!

Anyway, the flasher can be in the low current switch circuit, turning the relay on and off, or in the high current switched circuit, directly turning the headlamps on and off.

With low current the flasher will take a while to thermal cycle, so the headlamps will flash slowly. With high current the flasher will cycle quickly, probably too fast, and likely pop before too long. Ask me how I know..... :D

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Rob P » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:19 am

Hi all and thanks for the responses, wiring is how it was when the car was purchased so if anyone has modified it then it was before my ownership.

It was in fact Grizzly's posting on flash to pass that starting me wondering about the headlights coming on when just the pull switch was operated. Having reviewed the various info it looks like the conclusion is the flasher unit for the flash to pass is either shorted out or bypassed then. Will have a delve into the wiring diagrams over the coming weekend.

Appreciate the feedback guys, great info as always :D

Quick question, is this flasher unit a special or a standard part? will dig in the manual later but if anyone knows off the top of their head that would be useful

Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:28 am

Rob, If i was you i'd check to see if the Flasher unit is fitted (should be with the relays just below the NS front corner of the bonnet just infront of the rad) if you want a diagram of how to wire it up properly there is one here lotus-electrical-f38/headlight-flash-pass-t34502.html 9 post down, as i said there i don't know where i found it but i hear its referred to as the Alex Black Mod just to save confusion.......

I had mine working correctly with a 2 pin Lucas FL5 flasher but i've since removed the flasher so it works just like yours does now. You may well run into difficulties if you use the standard Lotus set up as its quite difficult to find a Flasher of low enough Wattage to work correctly.
Last edited by Grizzly on Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rob P » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:47 am

Cheers Chris, appreciate the feedback and the drawing, I'll investigate further if the sun comes out today :-)

Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:52 am

That's actually a portion of the diagram that I put together for the Federal fail safe head light wiring. Who said plagiarism was dead...

The later diagram (v1.13) attached incorporates Alex Black's mod with the flasher unit on the power side of the relay

Lucas FL5 units are still readily available.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:22 pm

pharriso wrote:That's actually a portion of the diagram that I put together for the Federal fail safe head light wiring. Who said plagiarism was dead...

All fixed ;)
Last edited by Grizzly on Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: