Lotus Elan Plus 2 radio retention

PostPost by: hillclimber1944 » Tue May 19, 2015 4:34 pm

I would appreciate if someone could explain how the radio in retained in the dash and what is used to support the radio preventing it sitting on the heater controls?
hillclimber1944
New-tral

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Tue May 19, 2015 6:32 pm

I have a Pye Clearway. It has two metal brackets, one on each side. Once you mount those brackets on the side, the radio will fit in sideways and then turn around behind the dash. Then the front plate of the radio that fits on with the nuts for the tuner knobs, tightens down and sandwiches the dash between those side brackets and the front plate. I did find that my dash cutout was a little bigger top to bottom than needed. So I glued a piece of wood just about an eighth inch tall running along the bottom of the opening. This shim piece of wood does hold it a little higher in the hole and also makes the fit more snug. The manual shows a bracket that goes in the back of the radio and maybe that helps hold it up but I didn't have that and don't see the need. Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Tue May 19, 2015 8:58 pm

Hillclimber1944, Welcome to the forum.

Just to add to Gordon?s comments.

The Rear Dash photo shows the ?L? brackets that are attached to each side of the radio, indicated by the red arrow.
Radio Mount.jpg and

The Front Dash photo shows the escutcheon plate, indicated by the red arrow.
Dash Complete Mid2.jpg and

The radio, with its brackets, is inserted through the aperture from the back of the dash. It is held in place from the dash front, by replacing the radio scale and escutcheon plate, secured with the nuts. The control knobs are then fitted, which cover the nuts and are secured with small grub screws.
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: hillclimber1944 » Wed May 20, 2015 2:29 pm

Gordon and TeeJay, thank you both for your prompt responses. I now understand how the radio is retained and will soon be making the brackets in order to complete my rebuild.
hillclimber1944
New-tral

PostPost by: spridget » Sat May 23, 2015 7:45 am

Hi
I have DIY an home made bracket to fit mine
2.jpg and

Yes, the dash must to be removed, but I was worried about the wood not to be damaged by the weight of the radio, it works fine like this :D
Franck
50/0302 +2, Frogeye
spridget
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dougal9887 » Sun May 24, 2015 6:56 am

As we and our cars get older we suffer from various age related ailments.
When I saw the title of this thread, I just hoped that my Plus 2 wasn't also suffering from radio retention!

Dougal.
dougal9887
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: weddingcarclive » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:02 pm

look at these, I have a full spring loaded bracket on my Turnolock fitted to plus 2 which was an accessory from the 70s and works by fitting the full bracket/plate to the radio using the nuts behind the knobs to hold it in position then the spring loaded sides grip each side of the wood all done from the front of the dash, just pressed in.
One of the links below (Ebay)shows similar to how my plate is securing the radio with just side spring clips but having 2 seperate spring plates will work the same as my full plate

https://www.classiccarstereo.co.uk/acce ... o-adaptor/

ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1970-s-or-80 ... Swy6dd0TO8
weddingcarclive
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: weddingcarclive » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:55 pm

eventually found the type I have used, wow ! What a way to spend two hours, being a dog with a bone

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-car- ... SwviBcVWQI
weddingcarclive
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: