Lotus Elan

Tachometer troubles

PostPost by: Mr.Gale » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:08 pm

I bought one of these, https://www.spiyda.com/magento/index.ph ... board.html I've installed and calibrated it but my car is not running yet so I haven't yet tested it in the car.

Mr.Gale
Mr.Gale
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 147
Joined: 08 Sep 2009
Location: Saratoga, CA

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:06 pm

Don't want to hijack, but as I have bought a TT electronic dizzy set up, I'm very interested in the spiyda board. Is it easy to calibrate? I saw it on YouTube but it didn't show how to download the calibration or what it involves.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 819
Joined: 23 Aug 2013

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:08 pm

KevJ+2 wrote:Don't want to hijack, but as I have bought a TT electronic dizzy set up, I'm very interested in the spiyda board. Is it easy to calibrate? I saw it on YouTube but it didn't show how to download the calibration or what it involves.


Dead easy, just play a sound file on your PC or laptop & adjust the calibration screw. Make sure you buy the calibration lead though...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
User avatar
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2741
Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Location: Long Island NY, USA

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:32 pm

KevJ+2 wrote:Don't want to hijack, but as I have bought a TT electronic dizzy set up, I'm very interested in the spiyda board. Is it easy to calibrate? I saw it on YouTube but it didn't show how to download the calibration or what it involves.

Bit of advice if you do decide to buy the kit invest in a new Bezel and seals, there only about ?10 and it saves ALLOT of swearing getting the front of the gauge.

Setting the Gauge up is a piece of cake, if there are few bits of advice first would be make sure the computer your using has a decent Volume (louder the better) and second make a loop between 100hz and 200hz (makes it much easier) then last i'd advise setting it up in suite, seems the position of the tacho alters the calibration so it needs to be as is.

But genuinely, it will take you 2 minutes to set it up and a week to get the bezel off without damaging it :)
Chris
User avatar
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1958
Joined: 13 Jun 2010
Location: Cheshire/UK

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:38 pm

I've now fitted the Spiyda RVC unit but before I test and calibrate it, can someone tell me what happens to the second red/green signal wire as this now seems unused?
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 819
Joined: 23 Aug 2013

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:50 pm

Sorry i'm a bit confused, on mine the Signal wires are both white (they should be connected together to bypass the Tacho) and the 12v wire is Green that goes to the Spade connector.

I know my kit was a later model with the three pads but you have one pad that's the Calibration (that only gets used to set it up) then there is the High voltage pad which is used to connect to the -ve terminal on the coil.

If in doubt may i suggest you contact Chris at Spiyda he's very helpful and i'm sure he'll guide you in the right direction.
Chris
User avatar
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1958
Joined: 13 Jun 2010
Location: Cheshire/UK

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:40 pm

Chris, the Spydia kit converts the tacho from current sensing to voltage sensing, so the coil current no longer needs to pass through the tacho, instead a wire needs to be brought back from the other end of the coil (i.e the contact for the distie contact breaker (or electronic equivalent)) to a single terminal on the tacho.

Kev, the answer is that the second terminal is now unused but without seen your conversion/installation instructions I can't be sure.

If your former white wire had bullet connectors at the tacho, connect them together. So that thw white wire is a single connection from ignition switch to coil.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 4716
Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Location: London UK

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:52 pm

Bill, thanks, that makes sense. I'm still trying to understand the tacho and coil wiring.
My tacho has another red/green wire from its spade terminal to the 12 volt side of the voltage stabilizer and another is also soldered onto the ignition warning bulb holder. This is not shown in the workshop manual and I can only assume this is correct?
So do the joined wires (white wire bullets) from the tacho go to the negative side of the coil? The electronic dizzy has 2 wires Black& Red - that's all I've got.
Thanks again - I will get there :roll:
Kev.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 819
Joined: 23 Aug 2013

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:40 pm

billwill wrote:Chris, the Spydia kit converts the tacho from current sensing to voltage sensing, so the coil current no longer needs to pass through the tacho, instead a wire needs to be brought back from the other end of the coil (i.e the contact for the distie contact breaker (or electronic equivalent)) to a single terminal on the tacho.

Isn't that what i said? You have to install a new Sensor wire from the Tacho to the -ve on the coil. I just don't know where the Green and red comes into it, on mine i have 2 whites and 1 green and green being the 12v power for all my Gauges etc (as i said above) the only green and red wire that i can see is some thing to do with the Lights on my dash?? (goes to the Steering column) hence the confusion.
Chris
User avatar
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1958
Joined: 13 Jun 2010
Location: Cheshire/UK

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:50 pm

KevJ+2 wrote:Bill, thanks, that makes sense. I'm still trying to understand the tacho and coil wiring.
My tacho has another red/green wire from its spade terminal to the 12 volt side of the voltage stabilizer and another is also soldered onto the ignition warning bulb holder. This is not shown in the workshop manual and I can only assume this is correct?
So do the joined wires (white wire bullets) from the tacho go to the negative side of the coil? The electronic dizzy has 2 wires Black& Red - that's all I've got.
Thanks again - I will get there :roll:
Kev.

The White wires should be removed from the back of the Tacho and joined together so it comes from the Ign switch and straight to the + of the Coil (not including the security switch if you still have it wired up)

A new wire is run from the -ve of the Coil to the Trigger connection of the Tacho

The 12v wire from the Stabilizer then goes to the Spade connector between the two bullet terminals that used to be the White wire terminals.

Don't forget to run a Ground to the Tacho body too.

You also need to determine which is the high voltage power trigger on the Tacho and the Calibration connection, on mine there not the same terminal.

https://www.spiyda.com/magento/index.php/tacho-wiring The RVC diagram second down, X is the new wire that needs too be added, pay no attention the how he's got the 12v coming off the Ignition switch on Elans it uses another Switched 12v (the Stabilizer power)
Last edited by Grizzly on Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
User avatar
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1958
Joined: 13 Jun 2010
Location: Cheshire/UK

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:55 pm

Chris, sounds like yours is a +2S which has white wires (and white/ yellows) from the tacho.
Mine is an earlier +2 with many red/green wires.
Kev.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 819
Joined: 23 Aug 2013

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:59 pm

So not like the Picture on the earlier page? i thought the earlier tacho's have external Loops but still white wires? If thats correct it will be where i'm getting confused.

I've just swapped a tacho for a friend on a 68 +2 with the early type fitted. But yes my cars are both 71 ish so later Internal loop.
Chris
User avatar
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1958
Joined: 13 Jun 2010
Location: Cheshire/UK

PostPost by: tonyr27 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:08 pm

The positive earth tacho on our 66 S3 had the external loop. We converted the car to negative earth and fitted the Spyda board. The tacho now works fine, it previously wasn't working when we bought the Elan.

TonyR
1968 Plus 2 Cirrus White
1966 S3 FHC Medici Blue
tonyr27
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 150
Joined: 02 Sep 2013
Location: South Yorkshire

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:50 pm

Grizzly wrote:
billwill wrote:Chris, the Spydia kit converts the tacho from current sensing to voltage sensing, so the coil current no longer needs to pass through the tacho, instead a wire needs to be brought back from the other end of the coil (i.e the contact for the distie contact breaker (or electronic equivalent)) to a single terminal on the tacho.

Isn't that what i said? You have to install a new Sensor wire from the Tacho to the -ve on the coil. I just don't know where the Green and red comes into it, on mine i have 2 whites and 1 green and green being the 12v power for all my Gauges etc (as i said above) the only green and red wire that i can see is some thing to do with the Lights on my dash?? (goes to the Steering column) hence the confusion.



Yes, it is what you said in different words. I misread your post first time, reread it and realised we both said the same thing, but decided to leave both versions. :D
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 4716
Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Location: London UK

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:23 pm

Chris, just to confuse you further :lol: -
My tacho has the internal loop but the internal wires upto the bullets are white. I've got one of those crossover cars.....last of the old plus twos & confusing at times.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 819
Joined: 23 Aug 2013
PreviousNext

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests