Lotus Elan

Ignition switch / Heater cable nut tool?

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:15 pm

Hi all.

Does any one know where i can get hold of the tool for removing / refitting a Lucas Ignition switch from an S4 Elan? also the Heater cable seems to have the same round nut with two slots cut in it is it the same tool or another one??

Sorry for the bit vague tread but i don't even know what the tool is called as i've not had reason to come across one before (sheltered life)
Attachments
34680.jpg and
Chris
User avatar
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: 13 Jun 2010
Location: Cheshire/UK

PostPost by: lotusfan » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:31 pm

Chris

Look at the last part of this link.

lotus-electrical-f38/vacuum-light-switch-dash-t33322.html

A pair of thin nosed pliers works if you are careful.
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
User avatar
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 295
Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Location: S Bucks, UK

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:41 pm

Might have a go with some circlip pliers, just a bit paranoid about scratching my new dash.
Chris
User avatar
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: 13 Jun 2010
Location: Cheshire/UK

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:45 pm

Just while i'm thinking on, i've just fitted the Cigarette lighter and come to plug it in but there seems to just be a stud with a nut on stuck out the back, do i have some thing missing? (i'll get a Picture in the Morning)
Chris
User avatar
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: 13 Jun 2010
Location: Cheshire/UK

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:51 pm

Grizzly wrote:Might have a go with some circlip pliers, just a bit paranoid about scratching my new dash.


So don't be a cheap bastard... buy something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/MG-ignition-switch-nut-tool-lucas-triumph-Jaguar-Austin-Healey-Rover-jensen-Lola-/201173629005?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ed6e1f84d&vxp=mtr
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
User avatar
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2806
Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Location: Long Island NY, USA

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:18 am

Grizzly wrote:i've just fitted the Cigarette lighter and come to plug it in but there seems to just be a stud with a nut on stuck out the back, do i have some thing missing?

lotus-elan-f19/elan-sprint-cigar-lighter-earth-t31273.html#p209361
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
User avatar
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3655
Joined: 11 Sep 2003
Location: U.K.

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:21 am

This is the correct tool http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?pCode=095.193 I have these and they make the job easy.

Mike
User avatar
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 562
Joined: 24 Nov 2011
Location: Troon, SW Scotland

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:49 am

pharriso wrote:
Grizzly wrote:Might have a go with some circlip pliers, just a bit paranoid about scratching my new dash.


So don't be a cheap bastard... buy something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/MG-ignition-switch-nut-tool-lucas-triumph-Jaguar-Austin-Healey-Rover-jensen-Lola-/201173629005?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ed6e1f84d&vxp=mtr

It was the time it would take to come that put me off the one from the US, Its typical i looked at the Holden site too and missed that :roll:
Chris
User avatar
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: 13 Jun 2010
Location: Cheshire/UK

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:57 am

types26/36 wrote:
Grizzly wrote:i've just fitted the Cigarette lighter and come to plug it in but there seems to just be a stud with a nut on stuck out the back, do i have some thing missing?

lotus-elan-f19/elan-sprint-cigar-lighter-earth-t31273.html#p209361

Just looking at this picture and it would seem i do have a bullet connector terminal missing.

IMG_1056.JPG and


P1030965.JPG and
Chris
User avatar
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1964
Joined: 13 Jun 2010
Location: Cheshire/UK

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:30 pm

Chris, my after market replacement lighter used a spade connector for the centre hot terminal. It was a folded male spade with a hole to attach to the centre threaded post.

For the ignition switch nut I made up a tool from a large fender washer. Cut a flat on one side of the washer and then cut into the washer hole to form a U shaped tool. None of the nuts are inset on my Plus 2, so the tool works fine with no risk of scratching that lovely new dash. Needle nose or circlip pliers can be difficult to control; probably don't have to ask how I know. :)

HTH

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
User avatar
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1751
Joined: 03 Sep 2007
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:51 am

The simple solution is a piece of copper pipe and cut to leave 2'studs' protruding on opposite sides to match the slots in the chrome nuts. Cheap and a 5 minute job.
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
User avatar
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Location: Cardiff in Welsh Wales

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: elanfan1, Sheldo and 10 guests