Lotus Elan

Voltage Stabilizer Wiring

PostPost by: William2 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:15 am

I am rewiring my S4 dash with a new loom and have a question to ask about the voltage stabilizer wires. The workshop manual shows a green wire from the "B" terminal to what looks like the ground metalwork of the speedometer. Is this correct? The body of the VS is also grounded to the metalwork presumably?
Attachments
Elan Instruments 004.JPG and
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:58 am

This diagram shows the basic wiring of most classic cars.

The voltage regulator reduces the variable 12v-14v battery voltage to an average 10 volts steady, for feeding those instruments which are voltage sensitive. On our Elans that is only the fuel gauge and the water Temp gauge of a Plus 2.

The regulator has an input an output and an earth. Exactly how thoat is achieved may vary.

Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:14 pm

The B terminal means 'Battery' and the I terminal means 'Instruments'. The unit is grounded thru the case lug, which is sort of represented in Bill's diagram by the 'E' or 'Earth' on the lug loop.

As Bill mentions the actual wire colours used may vary by model. Typically Green is 'Hot in Run/Start - Fused', and would power the voltage stabilizer using the B terminal. This varies though; my Plus 2 powers the stabilizer with White 'Hot in Run/Start - Unfused'.

The wire carrying the 10v supply from the stabilizer to the instrument(s) varies by model. Not a big deal as it is confined to the dash board anyway.

You definitely do not want a Green running to ground! The diagram may be trying to indicate the Speedo power terminal?

I found this document helpful for the stabilizer.

http://www.mossmotors.com/graphics/prod ... 31-555.pdf

HTH

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mayanktanwar » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:41 am

A voltage stabilizer is an electrical appliance used to feed constant voltage current to electrical gadgets like AC and computers, and protects them from damage due to voltage failure. I have not much knowledge about voltage wiring, the installation of voltage stabilizer(http://www.batterybhai.com/category/vol ... bilizers/5) is done by electricians.
mayanktanwar
New-tral

Total Online: