Electric Rad fan?

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:26 pm

Hi all,

I'm just contemplating fitting a modern electric fan to my small rad S4 / Sprint, i have been weighing them up and decided 9" push fan is probably best for me, i did think about upgrading to a bigger Rad but being in the UK hot weather isn't really an Issue.

I have almost made up my mind to get a Revotec Comex High Power fan as it has the highest output but its also one of the more expensive, on the thicker side (so may cause more Bonnet spring issues) and uses quite allot of Amps next to the others.

I was just wondering what other people have used?
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:31 pm

Sorry to butt in on your post Chris, but I need such a fan too, so I'm interested to see the responses.
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
2002 Elise S2 (now sold :-()
1970 Scimitar GTE
"The older I get the better I was !"
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:37 pm

I used something cheap and cheerful from ebay just to see it made much of a difference over the std Lotus one. If it did I was then going to replace it with something more robustly constructed. It has made a difference but it's still working well after three years (something I didn't expect) so I'm leaving it alone for the time being.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: joe7 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:47 pm

Check out SPAL fans.
joe7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:58 pm

I used a std 9" fan and a micro thermostat.......
not the one that sits in the cooling pipe :-)

just picked mid range.......its never kicked in since fitting.......
I only fitted it to do Le Mans Classic 14 just incase.....and the temp gauge never went up past 85deg

s-v-c I think I used......
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:00 pm

I short listed Spal, Revotec and Kenlowe, The reason i am looking at Revotec is simply its the most powerful but it does have its down sides as i said above.

I have 2 Mishimoto fans on my RX7 and been very impressed with them, i think if they sold a 9" fan i probably would have gone with them BUT!! they don't.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:02 pm

theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:06 pm

theelanman wrote:I used a std 9" fan and a micro thermostat.......
not the one that sits in the cooling pipe :-)

just picked mid range.......its never kicked in since fitting.......
I only fitted it to do Le Mans Classic 14 just incase.....and the temp gauge never went up past 85deg

s-v-c I think I used......

Thinking on, My +2 was good for that too. When it was being used every day i would only hear the fan in the most extreme Traffic.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:07 pm

theelanman wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/7799523710047933981?q=car+cooling+fan+thermostat&hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4NDKB_enGB515GB523&biw=1432&bih=663&bav=on.2,or.&bvm=bv.83640239,d.eXY&tch=1&ech=1&psi=a6C2VNugJ4HcggTXzIDABA.1421254764794.3&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX2v53H7I-U6d-yRukm2MiI2kYBt4Jk9CseQXiUdmJaFuHTB8VZUpT6p1bBembH35PMBZB8zSmlhRDPucZF89a2t_eBYo1jrqng8CmP5f7MEnjObivhIZAFPVH72k0ppkUsCPdY_-JvgUuup4KoAeVA&ei=bqC2VIvKFYydgwSx3YDYBA&ved=0CKMBEKYrMAQ

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/comex-fan-9/

Thanks.

Just noticed that's the Same Fan Revotec are selling as there own :)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:07 pm

Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 7skypilot » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:47 am

I have a Revotec fan, sited behind the rad and pulling cooling air.

Combined with a TT 26R rad, header and electronic controller it provides excellent cooling on my S4. I bought the fan and controller from Cliveyboy - excellent - and his site has sound advice on cooling the Elan. I have a manual override for the fan switched via the panel lights switch.

http://www.cliveyboy.com/2012/11/how-to ... ng-system/

The system kept the engine cool with the fan operating occasionally during a long, traffic bound grind up the Stelvio Pass in a 38C Italian heatwave. I use a removable plate to block off about a third of the radiator for more temperate climes.
7skypilot
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:16 pm

I did want to buy a few things of Cliveyboy but he's shut his shop down.

I know he sells the Revotec twin fan kit (nice bit of kit) http://www.revotec.com/acatalog/Lotus-T ... -Kits.html but i can't really justify spending ?6-700 on the cooling system at the moment when it works.
Last edited by Grizzly on Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:26 pm

I have a Revotec fan, sited behind the rad and pulling cooling air.

Can I ask 7skypilot if he has the single fan from Cliveyboy or the twin fans? I bought the single fan kit from him just before he shut up shop, and I keep wondering whether I should have had the twin. If your car copes fine with a single one, I'll stop worrying. My Sprint has the full width radiator. The fan fits behind the rad as you say, and is close up to the alternator. Its a nice mounting.

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 7skypilot » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:06 pm

Responding to Mike's query...

I have the single Revotec fan from Cliveyboy. I've had no cooling problems at all, even on long alpine passes in slow traffic and a heat wave.

I've mounted it behind the rad as I think, on balance, that it's more efficient as it leaves the front of the rad unobstructed & doesn't restrict bonnet spring clearance. The fan is mounted on the LHS of the rad as any spare air might just cool the primaries (headers) a bit... I moved the rad forward a little to ensure sufficient clearance from the pulleys; the standard brackets offered sufficient adjustment.

The fan is operated automatically by a Revotec electronic controller (mounted in the fan thermostat TT provides) and manually, or once a year (!) by the (rewired) panel light switch. I've used the supplied, and ready-wired, Revotec controller.

Beware, when installing the electronic controller, that you install the correct one for the fan thermostat boss. I attempted to force a M22x1.5 thread into the BSP(?) TT 'stat housing... BAD IDEA! I then bought a new M22x1.5 controller and had a M22x1.5 boss welded onto the rad. ??'s wasted by a Stupid me!
7skypilot
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:46 pm

Thanks very much for that. I have used the Revotec controller plugged into the special thermostat housing that Cliveyboy supplied me with http://www.cliveyboy.com/product/lotus-thermostat-housing/. I also have put a manual switch and warning light inside the car - I did this on my MGB V8 because I like to see when the fan is running. In the V8 the sound of the engine masks the sound from the fans.

My Elan is getting ready for the road, hopefully this summer. It's nice to know that the single fan should be adequate.

By the way, we used to live in Guildford when we were first married, but moved to Scotland in 1980. We visited Guildford in 2012 and hardly recognised the town. Huge amounts of redevelopment.

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: