wiper and blade

PostPost by: umbyfer » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:50 pm

After reading so many topics from last 10 years, I try to do here a summary and ask some questions to complete the synthesis and provide a clear situation on the wipers.

Please note: when i say Left means LHD; right means RHD

1. I checked a huge quantity of pictures on books, advertising pages and internet, from actual cars to old pictures when cars were as much as possible original. Most of them are with wipers stopped at driver side in both condition LHD or RHD.
2. From old pictures I found only few cases with wipers at passanger side; most of them are with wipers at the driver side.
3. On my car LHD Federal 1971, both position are possible only switching the arms; of course after choosing the stop position by the rocker wiper switch.
4. Looking the arm from the top they are arched at the end parts to right: one of 5? and one of 10?. Putting the 10? arm stopped in the bottom center (so, connected at the right side) of the windscreen, it is in line with the bottom side of the windscreen. The arch of 10? to right helps to stay in line with windscreen.
5. If I put the same arm to the other side it cannot stay in line for the revers position of the arch to right, it means to top side of the wind screen.
6. So my arm are correct if they stay stopped at driver side.
7. Now the question is if the arms are in two different types: with arch to right and to left, for LHD and RHD, and all position are possible.
6. One is 10? and the other 5?; anyone able to check the own car to conferm which one for driver side?
7. My actual arms are 12"=30 cm long; speedblade Trico size is 33 cm=13", but i assume it is wrong after reading the topics here. The correct should be 14"=35 cm: am I right?

Thank you for any comments that all toghether will be a good key point to clarify this matter.
Umberto Ferrari
Modena - Italy
Elan Sprint 7108000193K
Elite SII #1319
umbyfer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:05 pm

Umbi

Here are two period factory Sprint press photos. One shows the UK car, one the Federal car, with their respective wipers set. I hope that they go a little way to helping you.

Tim
Attachments
Federal FHC 1.jpg and
Federal
Factory Press.jpg and
UK Domestic
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: umbyfer » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:04 pm

Tim, great job! Very helpful to clear any doubts!!

Thank you.
Umberto Ferrari
Modena - Italy
Elan Sprint 7108000193K
Elite SII #1319
umbyfer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:03 pm

The wiper arms are cranked depending on which side the wipers park. The wheel/gear box can be set to accommodate either arm. There was no "right" way... Parts bin spares...

Mark

73 DHC Sprint
14 FHC V6 Exige
13 FHC V8 Mustang
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusS2guy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:35 pm

What is the distance from the center of the pivot to the end of the original wiper arm? My wiper arms are not original and I suspect they are too long. I measured 12.25" . When parked, the outside blade cannot match the curve of the windscreen and hangs out in space. A shorter arm would correct this, but I cannot locate one (or two). BTW, my S2 blades park on the passenger side and I have had the car since new.
Herb
Herb
26/4618
lotusS2guy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:52 pm

And you live where, Herb? My English S2 parks driver's side.

BTW my passenger side wiper sits nicely at the windscreen base but hasn't wiped the screen clean properly for years with different blades and even a new arm, whereas my driver's side drapes over the beading at rest yet wipes almost perfectly. Should the passenger's blade have a flatter backing?
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: