Javelin ariel

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:46 am

Hi all,

I have finally got round to doing some wiring and the Ariel seems to be one of the things that needs attention.

Ok, i have the original Javelin Type-JE-6 electric ariel but i was told it got bent and never worked correctly after that so i was toying with the idea of rebuilding it (for the sake of originality) but i have never heard of them and Google is not bringing up much so i'm guessing there long gone? i did think about fitting a Hirschmann ariel but i seem to remember the body of them being black plastic which would look a bit grotty as its so exposed in the elans boot.

So i did a bit of searching for Electric ariels and came across this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251742130389? ... EBIDX%3AIT the odd thing is it looks very similar to the Javelin may even be a copy? but i've never heard of Harada but a friend says there good?? Duno myself.

I was just wondering what people use, i have a Hirschmann770B manual ariel that was left over from a job at work years ago but i also have the Original Turnlock radio which works (surprisingly) so i would like to get the Electric one working but that said are they the sort of Electric ariel that makes a racket when they go up and down??

I might get one of those Harada ones and see what there like, even if i use it for spares to fix my Javelin might be worth a go?? or can Javelin spares be obtained? (if they can where is the best place to look)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:52 am

It might help your Google search if you spelled it: aerial

:roll:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client= ... HUOYWRgOAN
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:08 am

Ariel, great oz band from the '80s!
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gherlt » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:20 am

Ariel is a car ... and a nice one
1964 S1 (at paint shop)
1967 S3 DHC
1969 S4 FHC (at BB's home)

https://theelanman.com for details on Brian Bucklands book.
https://shop.lotus-books.com for more Lotus related books.
We ship worldwide. PM/Email me.
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:23 am

"Ok, i have the original Javelin Type-JE-6 electric ariel"

Chris, the factory fitted aerial was the then normal manual telescopic version on Elans. Electric aerials were in their infancy in the early 1970s so, if you know yours came with it new, it was most likely fitted by the dealer for the first owner.

I'm not sure about the Plus 2. Anyone know if they came with electric aerials as standard from the factory? They are not mentioned on contemporary price lists.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:31 am

My 73 PLus2S 130/5 came with a turnolock radio and manual aerial from new

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:50 am

Hope you don't mind me butting in on this thread, but I need a manual aerial too for my S2, for no other reason but to fill the hole in the body. I don't have even a radio ....yet!
The hole is barely 9/16" (14mm) dia and every one I see on the net seems bigger than this. I know I can make the hole bigger, but if I don't have to. Anyone got any links to a suitable one?
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
2002 Elise S2 (now sold :-()
1970 Scimitar GTE
"The older I get the better I was !"
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:56 am

Ariel was a Disney character...

I have the Hirschmann 2030... works great, the 2040 is readily available on eBay etc.

Yes it does make a noise when it extends/retracts, but with a manual aerial I might forget to retract it & I seem to remember English louts love snapping aerials!

Hirschmann also make a basic manual aerial.
Last edited by pharriso on Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:27 pm

billwill wrote:It might help your Google search if you spelled it: aerial

:roll:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client= ... HUOYWRgOAN

Class, that's because we have an Ariel Square Four and i'm for ever searching for parts for that. Woops.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:44 pm

trw99 wrote:"Ok, i have the original Javelin Type-JE-6 electric ariel"

Chris, the factory fitted aerial was the then normal manual telescopic version on Elans. Electric aerials were in their infancy in the early 1970s so, if you know yours came with it new, it was most likely fitted by the dealer for the first owner.

I'm not sure about the Plus 2. Anyone know if they came with electric aerials as standard from the factory? They are not mentioned on contemporary price lists.

Tim

Thats Interesting, i automatically thought it had come from the factory for a couple of reasons the first being my +2 has exactly the same "aerial" and the second being the paint under the top fixing had been stamped almost like it had been fitted while the paint was still soft?

That is actually good news because the really disliked the Electric aerial's in the 80's (made a racket every time they went up or down) and who needs a radio in a dhc Elan on 40 dcoe 's :)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:56 pm

Okay all you Elan historical experts. If you bought a new Elan 1600 or S2 and it did not come with a radio, did it have a hole for the aerial, or come with an aerial so you could add a radio? My car appears to have never had a radio new, but one was added later and an aerial was added in a non stock location.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:07 pm

No Russ, it did not come with an aerial 'ole.

He said, sticking his neck out.

I have just looked through my collection of period photos, though, which does appear to confirm wot I said!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:58 pm

Not really answering you question but encase other people are interested my 73 +2S130/5 didn't come with a radio and shows no signs of radio being fitted (no speaker wiring, speaker holes or power wires) but it does have an aerial fitted and aerial wire run to the dash.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:26 pm

pharriso wrote:Ariel was a Disney character...

That must be where Shakespeare got the idea from and used in The Tempest:

"Ariel, a spirit, is bound to serve the magician Prospero, who rescued him from the tree in which he was imprisoned by Sycorax, the witch who previously inhabited the island."
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:01 pm

Good washing powder too :D
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: