Lotus Elan

Electrics question (earthing)

PostPost by: Hugh2654 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:06 pm

I have just bought a 1968 Elan +2 which needs some work, I am intending to do this over winter. I know there are issues with earthing the electrics, I have an idea to run a new earth wire (cooper cable) from the front to the rear of the car picking up the earth points as I go, therefore bi-passing the chassis as the earth.
Has anybody done this before? Can anyone think of any reasons why this wouldn't work or isn't a good idea?
Hugh2654
New-tral

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:34 pm

Not needed...Your chassis ( although not copper ) has a good cross-sectional area and is a good conductor...you just need to make sure the earthing points are electrically "clean".

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:55 pm

The matter was discussed here only a week ago.

lotus-elan-f19/improving-the-primary-ground-earth-t32614.html
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hugh2654 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:29 am

Thanks for that Bill,
I am new to this forum and had tried to find some info on the topic on the forum before asking the question but couldn't. But That's down to me.
I have to say, what a great source of info this forum is and I'm sure I'll be back asking loads more questions as the restoration continues. The car is actually owned by my eldest son and is his first venture into classic car ownership. With the help of his younger brother and myself the aim is to have it running and MoT'd by April next year. Then if funds allow painted. The journey begins this weekend with the engine removal. Wish us luck!!
Hugh2654
New-tral

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:07 pm

good luck and try to stay ZEN
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MZH » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:54 pm

Hi I did exactly as you asked, ran a separate earth cable from engine block to battery, although the chassis does make a very good route with all the dissimilar metals ie: chassis possible galvanized steel,steel/ stainless steel bolt, copper crimps on your cable aluminum bobbins etc this can induce an chemical reaction between all the different metals and form a insulating film thus increasing the resistance and continuity , so a separate wire would help
MZH
New-tral

Total Online: