Indicators

PostPost by: Hongokongo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:52 pm

This is getting annoying!
I have tried a new bulb, with no success. Went to buy a new flasher from Holdens, but they checked it, and said it was OK.
So, as many of you have suggested, it must be the earth. However, my light does not earth on the speedo nut. There is a black wire with a metal ring on it that fits onto the back of the speedo before the bulb holder is pressed on. The wire then disappears into a loom,I think. It's not easy at my age, lying in the foot well and wearing varifocals. I now have a bad back and bruises on my head.
Classic cars eh?
Hongokongo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:42 pm

The ground comes from the case of the speedo, right? Why not simply pull the bulb/socket/wire out of the back of the speedo and run a separate wire from a known ground to the bulb holder. Then you can test it knowing that it is solidly grounded. If you have dodgy grounding surely more than the indicator warning lamp would be misbehaving?

I'll bet that the flasher is broken. I went through several before I found one that could reliably drive the bulb in the speedo. Heck, most of them wouldn't even drive the indicators properly, let alone the warning lamp.

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:24 am

Hongokongo wrote:This is getting annoying!
I have tried a new bulb, with no success. Went to buy a new flasher from Holdens, but they checked it, and said it was OK.
So, as many of you have suggested, it must be the earth. However, my light does not earth on the speedo nut. There is a black wire with a metal ring on it that fits onto the back of the speedo before the bulb holder is pressed on. The wire then disappears into a loom,I think. It's not easy at my age, lying in the foot well and wearing varifocals. I now have a bad back and bruises on my head.
Classic cars eh?

I seem to live half my life with bruised shoulders, sore eyes and a stiff back from chasing wiring problems under the dash. The other half has me with a sore back and chewed up arms and hands from trying to get at things in the engine bay, particulary anything to do with the distributor, buried as it is under the Webers! :shock: :lol:
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:10 am

... i wish I could've been an elan owner back in the 60's - my back isn't highly tuned and some times my arms look like they went thru a shreddar: all of my plumbing (Oil) is the old type aeroquip (AN10) and it's tight as we all know - after a complete rebuild (and 10thou$ later) of the engine i really DO NOT anticipate any problems. cheers sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: