Indicators

PostPost by: Hongokongo » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:41 pm

My indicators work fine (apart from not cancelling), but the dash light only flashes twice, and then stops, even though the indicators themselves are still flashing. I have change the flasher unit, but with no success.
Any ideas please?
Hongokongo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:54 pm

HKG,
Perhaps a new bulb would be worth a try.
Why do your indicators not cancel? Are you missing the self canceling clip that fits onto the steering shaft behind the indicator switch mechanism?
Cheers,
Colin.
P.S. Why Hongokongo?

Hongokongo wrote:My indicators work fine (apart from not cancelling), but the dash light only flashes twice, and then stops, even though the indicators themselves are still flashing. I have change the flasher unit, but with no success.
Any ideas please?
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hongokongo » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Thanks, I didn't think a bulb could cause this problem

The indicators do cancel when a right angle corner is turned, but not on less sharp corners.

Re.hongokongo. I lived in HK as a child, and when I was first thinking of an internet name many years ago, all the HK references had been taken, so I just added a 'o'

I'm too polite to ask why 'Fatboyoz'!!
Hongokongo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:40 am

The bulb would be an easy option before chasing deeper into the circuitry.
My S4 was acquired in Hong Kong in 1987 when we lived there.
Fatboyoz: a nickname when I joined Qantas as a lad (everyone had nicknames apparantly). The 'oz' was added when I was looking for an easily remembered internet username and 'fatboy' had already been taken (probably by some Harley rider riding a Fatboy).
Cheers,
Colin.

Hongokongo wrote:Thanks, I didn't think a bulb could cause this problem

The indicators do cancel when a right angle corner is turned, but not on less sharp corners.

Re.hongokongo. I lived in HK as a child, and when I was first thinking of an internet name many years ago, all the HK references had been taken, so I just added a 'o'

I'm too polite to ask why 'Fatboyoz'!!
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:42 am

The bulb can actually be faulty but still partly work, for instance the inert gas protecting the tungsten filament could have escaped over time, and although the filament will still glow when a current is passed through it will show a marked resistance through oxidisation and will only briefly glow, hence your two flashes then nothing. As the current is only applied periodically the bulb won't always blow it's filament.

If this is the case with yours it will be obvious as the glass bulb will be black from the oxidised filament.

Thank you both for the name explanations, I always think of the business district as being Hong Kong, but I'm sure there are some good ?lan roads, can you suggest a good drive out?
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hongokongo » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:35 am

I was there in the early 60's, and my Dad would drive at about 30 mph in an old Hillman Californian, (he was in his 40's when he passed his driving test, so not very fast), and so, no, I can't recommend any good roads on the island, although on the mainland here must be some.
Hongokongo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Hongokongo » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:39 pm

I have examined the bulb, and it is quite clear.
I have noticed, however, that I have two flasher units. One under the dash with three connectors, and one under the bonnet with only two connectors.
Any ideas?
Hongokongo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:48 pm

Ones indicators, ones hazards.

For the cost I try a new bulb, hard to establish the extract condition from just looking. Could also use a test lamp.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PeterK » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:24 pm

Flasher unit with 2 wires is the Hazard light flasher. The one with 3 wires is for the indicators.

Peter
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JK1 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:37 am

Hi

I had precisely the same problem and tried most of the solutions identified and finally discovered that the problem was caused by a poor earth. There are two in the boot of the Elan Plus 2 which bolt through a bobbin to the chassis. Indicators are now working perfectly.

JK1
JK1
New-tral

PostPost by: Hongokongo » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:52 pm

Thanks Peter, however, I don't have hazard lights!

I will try the earth, then the bulb and the a new flasher unit.
Hongokongo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:03 pm

Hongokongo,
The flasher unit with two connectors under the bonnet is for the headlamp flashing system.
Cheers,
Colin.

Hongokongo wrote:I have examined the bulb, and it is quite clear.
I have noticed, however, that I have two flasher units. One under the dash with three connectors, and one under the bonnet with only two connectors.
Any ideas?
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hongokongo » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:54 pm

Thanks for all the answers.
I have tried a new bulb, with no success.
I could only find one earth in the boot, in the centre, at the back, just to the left of the battery.
I will get a new flasher unit tomorrow.
and then.............hopefully.....success!
Hongokongo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: PeterK » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:16 pm

Deleted
Last edited by PeterK on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:29 pm

+1 JK1 = Poor earth to the tell-tale bulb.

wiggle the bulb holder and check that the nut retaining the gauge (and earth wire) is tight.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: