Elan alternator drive V belt

PostPost by: dpchamp87 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:58 pm

One of the few things I did not replace on the Elan when I rebuilt it was the alternator and drive belt (it was in fine condition). However taking a look yesterday the belt is starting to look a little old. I have the toothed separate belt driving the cartridge water pump. Does anyone know the reference # of the shorter alternator drive belt (car in in the USA)?

Thanks

David
Attachments
photo-29.JPG and
Heres a pic of the V belt
dpchamp87
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:02 pm

Your set up looks nice!
Why not going with toothed belt all the way?
Cooled down by CliveyBoy!
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:58 pm

As that's not the standard setup you'll be lucky if someone can tell you the belt size. You should be able to take the belt off ant take it to standard auto parts shop, who'll measure it and give to a replacement.

I did this for my standard setup and got a 1/2 * 32" belt from Napa. It is green thou as I believe its really a belt for a lawn mower or something. Seems to do the job thou.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dpchamp87 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:57 am

The pulley and alternator came with the car (and were newish) so I just stuck with the V belt.

Guess I will have to take it off and measure it; probably better than waiting for it to break!

David
dpchamp87
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: